Marie Ulven, a.k.a. Girl in Red , stops herself mid-apology — the kind you utter when you think you're talking too fast or you're unsure whether the listener gets your drift. "I'm not gonna say sorry," the 22-year-old musician says firmly, breaking off from a discussion of her new album, If I Could Make It Go Quiet . "I don't want to be that person who apologizes for everything. I'm not sorry. There you go, Marie. You're the protagonist." Even though Ulven is Zooming in from Oslo — with the camera off — her personality crackles across the miles and timezones. Delightfully verbose, snarkily self-deprecating, and "really bad at boundaries" (her words), Ulven has carved out a place for herself in indie rock by appealing to her listeners' insecurities and yearnings. Her Girl in Red persona — think Billie Eilish's self-aware bluster, mixed with a healthy splash of early '00s college rock — grapples in equal turns with mental health and sometimes unrequited lust. It's a combination that's helped make Ulven a favorite of both the TikTok set and those a bit too old to grasp the platform's purpose. As she half-jokes to this 30-something writer: "Being on TikTok allows… Read full this story
- Alvvays: Alvvays review – breezy, literate indie-rock
- Katy B: Little Red – review
- The best indie games on Nintendo Switch (July 2020)
- Diane Kruger rocks newsboy cap while on mom patrol in a Beverly Hills park with her one-year-old daughter she shares with Norman Reedus
- 'Real life School of Rock' video goes viral
- Kylie Jenner rocks lime green trench coat over figure-hugging white mini dress for photo with daughter Stormi at Scott Disick's birthday party
- Joe Wicks' daughter Indie is taking after The Body Coach with new designer wardrobe
- Dark-skinned girls, 'love yourself for who you are'
- Amanda Holden blends a Victoriana blouse with edgy ripped jeans and red accessories as she struts her stuff while heading to Global Studios
- Tom Petty: the rock star who was a music fan as much as a musician
Girl in Red’s Supercharged Indie Rock Honesty have 352 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at March 3, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.