Donald G. McNeil Jr., the veteran New York Times reporter who left the newspaper last month amid the controversy over his use of a racial slur, responded to accusations against him in a lengthy series of Medium posts today. McNeil, who had been with the Times since 1976 and specialized in coverage of infectious diseases, had used the n-word during a discussion he was having with high school students on a Times-sponsored trip to Peru. In January, The Daily Beast informed McNeil that it was working on a story about his conduct during the trip, which also included claims of other offensive statements. In the Medium posts, McNeil wrote that the Beast's depiction of him was inaccurate, but he also faulted the Times for the way that it handled its response to the story. Related Story Free Speech Insurance: An Idea That Could Even Help The Oscars McNeil wrote that he initially misread the situation and did not take it as seriously as Times editors and P.R. staffers. He provided his editor Celia Dugger with an email explaining the context of the remark: a student had asked him his opinion on the suspension of a classmate for using the word…. Read full this story
- New York state tax officials are looking into fraud allegations against the Trump family in a bombshell New York Times report
- Trump denies New York Times reporting, says if he wanted to fire Mueller, he would have
- White House rejects New York Times report suggesting Trump's iPhone was tapped by Chinese spies
- A New York Times report found that some workers hired to build NYC subways were paid $111 per hour
- Mueller officials unhappy with Barr summary, New York Times reports
- New York Times reporter on Trump's claim they don't ask for comment: 'That's a lie'
- Donald Trump Jr. lashes out at Rod Rosenstein after explosive New York Times report
- The Verge’s defense of Sarah Jeong highlights what the New York Times got wrong
- New York Times Publisher and Trump Clash Over President’s Threats Against Journalism
- Uber whistleblower Susan Fowler Rigetti is the newest New York Times hire
Former New York Times Reporter Donald McNeil Responds To Controversy Over Remarks have 346 words, post on deadline.com at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.