Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 06: Ahead of the state assembly polls, the Congress-led United Democratic Front in Kerala said on Saturday if the UDF was voted to power, it would pass a legislation on Sabarimala to protect the customs of the shrine, a move dubbed by the ruling Left front as to “fool the people of the state”.
Senior Congress leader and MLA Thiruvanchoor Radhakrishnan “released a draft law”, saying it would be passed if the UDF comes to power after the elections. “We will enact the law if we come to power.Under this proposed law, the ban on unauthorised entry into Sabarimala will be ensured in consultation with the Tantri Violation of customs/rituals can attract imprisonment of up to two years,” Radhakrishnan told reporters at Kottayam.
The Congress had recently asked the Left government to seek legal remedies to “heal the wounds” created in society due to its alleged “hasty decision” to implement the Supreme court verdict of September 2018 allowing women of all age groups to enter the Lord Ayyappa shrine at Sabarimala.
The southern state had witnessed protests by right wing and BJP workers against allowing women in the banned 10-50 age group being allowed in the shrine.
Numerous review petitions are pending in the apex court.
However, CPI(M) state secretary in-charge A Vijayaraghavan claimed the UDF was fooling the people as it was not possible to formulate a law in a matter which is under the consideration of the Supreme Court.
“The UDF announcement that a new law will be formulated against the women”s entry into Sabarimala is just to fool the people of the state.First of all, the UDF is not going to come back to power.”
“Secondly, it”s not possible to make a law in a matter which is under the consideration of a larger bench of the Supreme Court.There is no legal authority to do so,” Vijayaraghavan said.
The “draft law” proposed by the UDF contains entry restrictions with the permission of the temple Tantri (priest).
Vijayaraghavan said the state government will act according to the decision of the Supreme Court and claimed the new announcement was part of the UDF agenda to fool the people.
On Friday, Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan had said the UDF was raking up the Sabarimala issue because of the coming Assembly elections.
- Manjeswaram bypoll | Crater highway biggest issue for voters, parties want Sabarimala twist
- President Trump Signs Music Modernization Act Into Law With Kid Rock, Sam Moore As Witnesses
- White House broke law by freezing Ukraine aid, says watchdog
- 'Do you solemnly swear you will do impartial justice, according to the Constitution and laws, so help you God?' Chief Justice John Roberts and the 100 senators are sworn as jurors in to put Donald Trump on trial
- Sen. Van Hollen: President Trump violated the law by withholding the aid
- House votes to temporarily repeal Trump SALT deduction cap
- The GOP Just Gave Congress the Power to Cut the Salaries of Individual Civil Servants to $1
- FCC overturns state laws that protect ISPs from local competition
- Otto Pérez Molina loses presidential immunity in Guatemala congress vote
- President Obama asserts power over small waterways
- How the aristocracy preserved their power
- Being petty jerks in Six Ages actually makes you the most powerful clan ever
- How China, Brexit, and the US derailed global 5G wireless
- Republicans will pay on Election Day for politicizing Trump's impeachment
- Pence Is Right: Trump Is a Lot Like Andrew Johnson
- AP FACT CHECK: Distortion in Trump’s impeachment defense
- For Years Utah's LGBTQ Children Were Subjected to Conversion Therapy. That's about to End
- 6 ways a Biden presidency would impact small business
- Six ways a Biden presidency would impact small business
- Who is Martin Luther King Jr. to us, 50 years later?
Will enact law to protect Sabarimala Ayyappa temple's customs if voted to power: UDF have 1044 words, post on www.oneindia.com at February 6, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.