Sony Pictures Classics is set to release awards contender The Father in select New York and Los Angeles theaters today before expanding nationwide March 12 before landing on PVOD on March 26. That's quite a theater-to-digital journey for the Florian Zeller-directed drama starring Anthony Hopkins and Olivia Colman. The film, which premiered at Sundance in 2020, is adapted from Zeller's 2014 play which starred Frank Langella, who won a Tony Award his performance. Zeller and Christopher Hampton adapted the play which follows Anthony (Hopkins), a defiant 80-year-old man who lives alone and refuses the carers that his daughter, Anne (Colman), encouragingly introduces — and she needs the help. She can't make daily visits to her father and his grip on reality is unraveling. Related Story ‘Cherry’: Read The Screenplay For The Indie Drama That Is Close To Home For The Russo Brothers The Father marks Zeller feature directorial debut — and what a debut it is. The film has received critical acclaim and received numerous Golden Globe and SAG Award nominations. In Pete Hammond's review, he said, "Hopkins is really magnificent here, an overwhelming performance that never shows its hand and in the final act puts you so firmly in… Read full this story
- Why isn’t Billy Joe Saunders fighting Demetrius Andrade TONIGHT and do the boxers have a re-arranged fight date?
- On stage: Hollis Resnik stars in Porchlight's 'Sunset Boulevard'
- Faster Than Sound: Lizzo City Limits
- Quincy Jones reveals he was hooked on heroin when he was 15
- Leeds Festival 2019 headliners are revealed
- See the celebrities who made Forbes' 30 Under 30
- 12 best little black dresses
- GRMC announces major leadership change
‘The Father’ And ‘Cherry’ Open in Theaters; Billie Holiday And Billie Eilish Hit Streaming – Specialty Preview have 269 words, post on deadline.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.