35 years ago, Janet Jackson broke out as a superstar with her third album, Control , which marked the start of a decades-long collaboration with Minneapolis producers and songwriters Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis . As former members of the Time, Jam and Lewis were the bridge between the Jackson family and Prince – which is one of many subjects they addressed on a recent episode of our Rolling Stone Music Now podcast, along with the stories behind the creation of some of Jackson's greatest hits. T o hear the entire episode, press play below, or download and subscribe on iTunes or Spotify . "Nasty" ( Control , 1986) "'Nasty' was cool, because there were a lot of factors there," says Lewis. "Number one, the overall philosophy with Janet was that she had a lot of attitude in her earlier things; when we saw her on TV, she was always this little girl with this feisty attitude. And when she did her first two records, they were nice, but they didn't have any of that attitude. So our thing was, what can we do to get the attitude back? We wanted to make tracks that were really aggressive, and then… Read full this story
- Who Is Janet Jackson's Billionaire Estranged Husband? 5 Things to Know About Wissam Al Mana
- Justin Timberlake Shuts Down Janet Jackson Reunion Rumors at Super Bowl LII Press Conference
- Janet Jackson Loves Baby Talk and Changing Diapers, Says Tito: Motherhood 'Makes Her Feel Complete'
- From James Brown to Jimmy Dean: These 10 Artists Scored Spoken Word Hits
- Sir Terry Wogan remembered at star-studded memorial
- Remembering Terry Jones: Monty Python’s Secret Weapon
- Olivia Munn looks regal in beaded red gown as she hits the red carpet ahead of hosting Critics' Choice Awards
- The greatest AFC/NFC Championship Games in NFL history ranked: 'The Catch,' 'The Drive,' Brady-Manning, more
- The year of the mixtape: the 15 greatest releases of 2016
- Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Jessica Biel, Elisabeth Moss and Kiernan Shipka suffer fashion faux pas in garish outfits as the WORST dressed hit the Critics' Choice Awards red carpet
Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis: How Janet Jackson Made Her Greatest Hits have 344 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.