Emma Coronel Aispuro, the wife of infamous drug kingpin Joaquín Guzmán " El Chapo " Loera, was arrested Monday in Virginia on charges stemming from her alleged involvement in international drug trafficking.
The 31-year-old Coronel, a dual U.S.-Mexican citizen and former beauty queen, was apprehended at Dulles International Airport near Washington D.C. She is scheduled to make an initial appearance Tuesday in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia through video conference.
According to a Department of Justice release , citing court documents , Coronel has been charged in a " one count criminal complaint with a conspiracy to distribute one kilogram or more of heroin, five kilograms or more of cocaine, 1,000 kilograms or more of marijuana, and 500 grams or more of methamphetamines for unlawful importation into the U.S."
The release adds that she is "alleged to have conspired with others" to assist her husband in his elaborate July 11th, 2015 escape from Altiplano prison , located in Almoloya de Juarez, Mexico. After Guzmán's January 2016 re-arrest in Mexico, Coronel allegedly "engaged in planning yet another prison escape with others prior to Guzmán's extradition to the U.S. in January 2017."
The Best Audiophile Turntables for Your Home Audio System
Court documents allege that, between 2012 and 2014, she "relayed messages on behalf of [Guzmán] in furtherance of drug trafficking activities while [Guzmán] attempted to avoid capture by Mexican authorities."
Following a 2019 jury trial, "El Chapo" was convicted and sentenced to life plus 30 years in a federal prison.
Jeffrey Lichtman and Mariel Colon are representing Coronel. "We're just trying to get the full scope of the government allegations at this time," Colon told CNN , while Lichtman had no comment.
The FBI notes that Coronel and Guzmán married "in or about 2007." During her husband's trial, Coronel told the New York Times , "I admire him as the human being that I met, and the one that I married."
Months before Guzmán's recapture, he met actor Sean Penn for a secret interview in the Mexican mountains. "I supply more heroin, methamphetamine, cocaine and marijuana than anybody else in the world," the kingpin boasted in the piece, published by Rolling Stone in January 2016.
- El Chapo's beauty queen wife Emma Coronel Aispuro reveals plan to set up a clothing line in the imprisoned drug lord's name as she appears on VH1 reality show Cartel Crew
- 'Sick and terrible': VH1 reality show slammed for including El Chapo's wife
- ‘God Forgive Him’: El Chapo’s Guilty Verdict Brings Mixed Feelings in Mexico
- El Chapo: Inside the Hunt for Mexico’s Most Notorious Kingpin
- El Chapo Speaks
- Inside the Trial of El Chapo
- Mexico City airport cops 'immediately released a drug mule carrying two kilos of cocaine when they spoke to El Chapo's son and he said she was his girlfriend'
- Mexico president calls 'El Chapo' sentence inhumane, vows better society
- Extraordinary story of how an orphan raised by drug traffickers and a man whose business failed were arrested in Australia's biggest ever heroin importation by North Koreans
- Suspected drug traffickers rescue Spanish police officers after collision at sea during high-speed chase
- The Brutal Rise of El Mencho
- Boy, 16, is arrested for using a remote-controlled car to transport $100,000-worth of meth across the U.S.-Mexico border
- Alarming surge in cocaine deaths in US – as drug is cut with deadly opioid
- Former San Diego County sheriff's deputy, four others charged with illegal gun trafficking
- Indiana father-of-two falls to his death from a Carnival cruise ship balcony after holidaying with his wife in the Caribbean
- EXCLUSIVE: Los Zetas Cartel’s Top Strategist Arrested After Breitbart Exposé
- Human trafficker whose gang brought 'more than 100 migrants' into Britain last year for up to £8,500 each is jailed for four years in Spain
- Jeffrey Epstein’s ‘paedo island’ now centre of sex trafficking probe amid fears ‘underage sex slaves were abused inside bizarre blue and white temple’
- Following Massacre In Mexico, GOP Congressman Urges Drug Cartels Be Labeled As Terrorist Organizations
- U.S. Media Ignore Mexican President’s Ties to Drug Cartels
Emma Coronel Aispuro, Wife of ‘El Chapo,’ Arrested on Drug Trafficking Charges have 737 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at February 23, 2021. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.