EXCLUSIVE: Disney is shuttering Blue Sky Studios, the $5.9 billion global grossing former 20th Century Fox animation division which during its run churned out 13 features including the Ice Age franchise. One can say that the writing was always on the wall for Blue Sky, especially after Disney acquired 20th Century Studios and its assets in March 2019. However, the past year has been challenging for Disney on many fronts, of course due to the pandemic, not just on the studio side but with theme park closures and cruise line dockings as well. Sustaining a third feature animation studio was no longer viable for Disney given the current economic realities caused by Covid. The last day for Blue Sky will be in April. The number of Blue Sky employees being impacted numbers 450. Disney will be working with the employees at the Greenwich, CT based animation house to explore open positions at the other internal studios. Related Story Disney Theme Park News Lifts Stock To New High, With Stock Markets In Record Territory; AMC Extends Slump A studio spokesperson told Deadline, “Given the current economic realities, after much consideration and evaluation, we have made the difficult decision to close filmmaking operations… Read full this story
- Disney+ Hotstar arrivals in May: More of ‘The Mandalorian’ and ‘Billions’, along with Mark Ruffalo’s mini-series
- Coronavirus impact | Walt Disney Co: A stricken empire
- Disney Channels EVP Nancy Kanter To Depart Company In 2021 After 20 Years
- Coronavirus live updates: White House has ‘big, thoughtful’ ideas to revive economy
- The Animal Crossing soundtrack is an unlikely lullaby for a nervous world
- Older voters could offer Biden a new path to the White House
- Marvel Studios Secret Origins Revealed by Founder
- 2016 was Disney’s year at the movies, whether you like it or not
- 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' star Rick Moranis makes rare appearance on Disney's 'Prop Culture'
- Coronavirus live updates: Pandemic could permanently close half of SF restaurants
Disney Closing Blue Sky Studios, Fox’s Once-Dominant Animation House Behind ‘Ice Age’ Franchise have 311 words, post on deadline.com at February 9, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.