Irish outfit Cartoon Saloon has established itself as one of the world’s most consistently excellent animation studios, having received Oscar nominations across projects including Song of the Sea, The Secret of Kells and The Breadwinner. Their latest project Wolfwalkers, which sold in a glossy deal to Apple TV+, is a continuation of the themes from Song of the Sea and Kells by being grounded in Irish folklore. The film follows a young girl and her father who travel to Ireland to wipe out a wolf pack, only to encounter a mysterious tribe rumored to transform into wolves by night. Contenders Film: Deadline’s Complete Coverage “I don’t know where we found the name ‘wolfwalkers,’ they were originally known as the ‘man wolves of Ossory.’ Ossory [now modern-day County Kilkenny] is an old name for the area we grew up in, and where our studio is now,” co-director Tomm Moore says of the project’s backstory during the film’s panel at Deadline’s Contenders Film awards-season event. “The sad story is that the wolves were completely wiped out, and with that a lot of the folklore died off too. We thought it was nice to revitalize and reimagine the stories.” Adds co-director Ross Stewart:… Read full this story
- Tribeca Film Festival Unveils Feature Lineup, With Screen Time For John DeLorean, Muhammad Ali, Chelsea Manning
- SXSW Film Festival Preview: A Mix Of Horror And Politics Reflects The Times
- The 5 biggest talking points from the Oscars
- Director William Friedkin on the Soundtrack to Cruising, His Most Vilified Film
- Michael Wright On His Epix Strategy, Staying In “The Curation Business”, Future Of ‘Berlin Station’ & ‘The Contender’
- From ‘Paddington 2’ to ‘Roma,’ Film Crit Hulk’s Favorite Movies of Awards Season 2019
- Get to Know the Films That Inspired Documentary Now!
- Booker and Harris reimagine what it means to be a black presidential contender after Obama
- The 17 Best Films of 2018
- Gaspar Noé on Climax, Violence, Santa Claus, and Modern Porn
‘Wolfwalkers’ Team Talks Reimagining Irish Folklore For A Modern Audience – Contenders Film have 322 words, post on deadline.com at January 24, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.