MDMK general secretary Vaiko on Friday took exception to the use of English at the ‘Namma Chennai’ selfie spot on the Marina, saying it was an insult to Tamil. The selfie spot had an installation with the word ‘Namma’ in Tamil and ‘Chennai’ in English. “It should not be in Tanglish—a collage of Tamil and English,” he said. Mr. Vaiko said while the spot was expected to be an important identity of Chennai, the government should not allow corruption of language in the name of changing with times. “It should not happen in a state where a separate department is functioning for the development of Tamil,” he said and demanded that the installation be in Tamil words.
- Pygmalion effect unlikely to propel Vietnam's English upgrade plans
- Apple isn't responsible for your nude selfies
- Fergie slams lacklustre United after Crawley test
- Lecturer pans ministry for testing English teachers
- Motorbike taxi drivers brush up on their English
- English referee Clattenburg faces racism probe
- Vietnam slams China's distortion of East Sea situation
- Part 2: Bright tourist spot of the future
- Science makes an open book of English evolution
- Vietnam ministry plan to create haves, have-nots in public schools slammed
Vaiko slams use of English at selfie spot have 187 words, post on www.thehindu.com at January 30, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.