House Democratic Whip James C. Clyburn says he does not believe there is a two-thirds majority in the Senate to convict President Trump of incitement of insurrection – but said new things could come up at trial that could move the needle.Clyburn made the comments hours after the House voted to impeach Trump for the second time – with 10 House Republicans crossing the aisle to make it a bipartisan effort after a mob of Trump supporters ransacked the Capitol.The votes sets up a Senate trial now likely to commence after Trump leaves office. ‘Well I don’t know,’ he said when asked in an NPR interview if the votes were there to convict. ‘I know what Mitch McConnell seems to be thinking. I suspect that there is support. I don’t think – there’s 17 Republicans that would be needed – I don’t think there’s 17. Not at this point,’ he said. House Majority Whip Jim Clyburn, D-SC, says he doesn’t think there are currently 17 Republicans to convict President Trump in a Senate impeachment trialDemocrats will have 50 Senate votes once Jon Ossoff and Raphael Warnock of Georgia are sworn in. But Clyburn said the situation is still fluid – and pointed… Read full this story
- US House resolution shows how Democrats will navigate Donald Trump's impeachment inquiry
- Impeachment Inquiry ‘Charade’ Aims to Convince Senate Republicans to Convict Trump
- Donald Trump's impeachment will end one of these ways
- Donald Trump's presidency has been dogged by Robert Mueller. These were the key players in the Russia probe
- Donald Trump's impeachment inquiry given roadmap following successful Congress vote
- Democrats see hopes rise in Senate with impeachment
- Five things we learned from Robert Mueller's testimony on Donald Trump's links to Russia
- Donald Trump sacks FBI director James Comey 'over Clinton probe', but Democrats question timing
- Donald Trump slams 'illegal take-down' as Robert Mueller probe finds no evidence he colluded with Russia
- Donald Trump warns shutdown 'could last years'
Top House Democrat Jim Clyburn warns there are NOT 17 Senate Republicans willing to convict Donald Trump so far - but says more evidence of what happened in Capitol could change their minds have 314 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 14, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.