This week, a very old recording industry tradition took center stage. We’re talking, of course, about the answer song. Answer records are songs that “answer” a previous recording by a different artist, sometimes directly addressing a specific incident, other times playing off its themes. The novelty has been around for decades, crossing over from blues to R&B to country to hip-hop, and often is an answer by one gender to another. The trick originally was designed to capture the sales momentum of the original song. Rarely has it achieved equal success, but certainly gave fans and the industry something to latch onto in the wake of a hit. For example, the 1963 song by Andrea Carroll, It Hurts To Be Sixteen, was the answer record to Neil Sedaka’s Happy Birthday, Sweet Sixteen. In this case, sales-savvy Sedaka wrote the melody to both, using different lyricists to convey the differing perspectives. Related Story ‘Girl Meets World’s Sabrina Carpenter To Star In & Produce Feature Adaptation Of YA Novel ‘The Distance From Me to You’ With Cartel & Danielle Fishel More popular was Back in the U.S.S.R., a 1968 track by The Beatles that responded to Chuck Berry’s Back in the U.S.A…. Read full this story
- Community groups take centre stage at opening of Aberdeen Music Hall
- Strictly Come Dancing 2018, Musicals Week live: Faye Tozer tops leaderboard with only the second perfect 40 of the series
- From Adele to Ol’ Dirty Bastard: 17 cover songs that are so wrong, they’re right
- ‘Listen to how the world sounds’: a week of world class radio in Malta
- Irish pop memorabilia dealer hoping to fetch $80,000 for last guitar played on stage by Prince
- King Kong on Broadway reviews round-up: 'One of the most ludicrous musicals in recent memory'
- Strictly Come Dancing 2018, Blackpool week live: Ashley Roberts tops leaderboard with first perfect 40-point score of series
- Sanitation of time and memorial — this is Hell reinvented as Disney
- Smash-hit musical Dirty Dancing to explode on to the stage in Oxford
- Check out this week’s DVD picks from Sicario 2: Soldado to An Evening With Beverly Luff Linn — one of the worst films ever made
This Week In Music: Sabrina Carpenter ‘Answer Song’ Takes Center Stage In Disney Drama have 357 words, post on deadline.com at January 23, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.