Emerald Fennell’s directorial debut Promising Young Woman could have easily been your classic revenge fantasy thriller, with its tale of Cassie, a grief-stricken, silently enraged woman on a mission to expose every last sexual predator in town. Only it’s so much more. Styled like an entrancing ’90s romcom, it wrongfoots the viewer at every turn with its fluffy-sweatered, heart-printed world, punctuated by cupcakes and pop songs. With Carey Mulligan’s blood-curdlingly underplayed performance as Cassie, Fennell leads us down a deceptively pretty garden path to the real truth about sexual assault and society’s turning of the other cheek, in a journey so twisty we never see its end coming. Antonia Blyth meets Fennell and Mulligan to find out how they disguised a truly thought-provoking shocker as a pretty pink love story. Related Story ‘Promising Young Woman’ Review: A Phenomenal Carey Mulligan Powers Director Emerald Fennell’s Stunning Feature Debut “We’ve both gone completely potty,” Emerald Fennell says, as she fires off a text to Carey Mulligan during our Zoom meeting. It’s a GIF of an awkwardly dancing Theresa May, ex-UK Prime Minister. Deadline’s photographer has asked the pair to dance to capture some fun pictures, and this GIF is Fennell’s impression of… Read full this story
- There's Something for Every Sci-Fi and Fantasy Fan on io9's Massive List of Fall Books
- Kim Kardashian's killer corset, Cardi B's duvet dream, Katy Perry the chandelier and Lady Gaga's strip tease: Met Gala stars compete to be the queen of 'camp' on most OUTRAGEOUS red carpet yet
- The best comics of 2011: Graphic novels & art comics
- Sisterhood Is Digital
- How can stripping for men be feminist? AMANDA PLATELL says it's wrong to encourage women to go into such a tawdry and dangerous industry
- Does Adam Simms Have a Sale?
- Apple Arcade updated: The full list of games for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and iPod Touch
- From Nazi labour camp to Melbourne suburbia, a family secret is revealed
- With race-baiting, Trump is in his comfort zone
- Manafort and Cohen have left Trump at a precipice
‘Promising Young Woman’: How Director Emerald Fennell & Carey Mulligan Concealed a Timely Truth Bomb Amid ’90s Nostalgia have 340 words, post on deadline.com at January 13, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.