Dame Barbara Windsor’s husband Scott Mitchell has requested that donations made in the actress’ name to go to Alzheimer’s Research UK.
The much-loved EastEnders and Carry On actress, who died in December at the age of 83, will be laid to rest at a private funeral today.
In memory of the iconic star, Scott Mitchell has asked that donations be put towards Alzheimer’s Research UK in order to support further breakthrough research into treatment.
So far, the Just Giving page has received over £148,500 of contributions for their cause.
The charity took to social media today to reflect upon Barbara’s legacy and share their support for Scott and their family.
“Everyone at ARUK has Scott and all Dame Barbara Windsor’s friends and family in our thoughts today, as the national treasure is laid to rest,” the tweet read.
“At Scott’s request, if anyone would like to make a donation to the charity in her memory, they can do so here.”
The organisation then shared a link to the Just Giving page where the late star’s fans could leave a donation.
On the page, the charity also wrote a touching message where they praised the family for raising further awareness of the devastating syndrome.
“Scott and Barbara’s brave decision to go public with her diagnosis has given others the confidence to share their stories,” the statement read.
“And support for Alzheimer’s Research UK’s vital dementia research has grown since she left us, showing just how much she meant to so many.”
Barbara was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2014 and with the support of husband Scott Mitchell went public with her condition in 2018.
The actress had long campaigned to raise awareness of the condition and raised millions of pounds to support further research.
Barbara’s closest friends and family will say their goodbyes to the star today at a private funeral attended by 30 guests.
Among the attendees will be Ross Kemp as well as Christopher Biggins – both of which were close friends with the star and will deliver eulogies.
Donations to Alzheimer’s Research UK can be made here.
Do you have a story to sell? Get in touch with us at [email protected] or call us direct 0207 29 3303
- EastEnders star Ross Kemp says Dame Barbara Windsor still recognises him despite Alzheimer’s battle
- Check loved ones for dementia signs, Dame Barbara Windsor’s husband urges
- Dame Barbara Windsor watches herself in Carry On films for comfort during Alzheimer’s battle
- Dame Barbara Windsor still knows who I am, says on-screen son Ross Kemp
- Dame Barbara Windsor needs '24-hour care' as Alzheimer's worsens
- Dame Barbara Windsor eases dementia by watching Carry On films and EastEnders
- Marathon training helps me to cope, says Dame Barbara Windsor's husband
- Dame Barbara Windsor needs watching round the clock as Alzheimer's worsens
- Dame Barbara Windsor's husband urges people to check loved ones for signs of dementia on Valentine's Day
- Barbara Windsor apologises to husband every night about Alzheimer’s
- Barbara Windsor apologises to husband Scott every day for having Alzheimer’s
- Barbara Windsor ‘lights up’ as she recognises theatre amid dementia battle, says EastEnders’ Adam Woodyatt
- Barbara Windsor’s dementia leaves her repeating herself says pal Paul Grady but warns fans ‘not to write her off’
- Barbara Windsor’s ‘confusion is really bad’ and she doesn’t recognise her own home says husband Scott as she battles Alzheimer’s
- Ross Kemp reveals Barbara Windsor relief: 'She still remembers me'
- Barbara Windsor asked EastEnders’ Jake Wood ‘why me?’ after her heartbreaking Alzheimer’s diagnosis
- Barbara Windsor reveals her pride as EastEnders co-stars run London Marathon in her honour
- Barbara Windsor cracks joke from the audience as she watches Shane Richie in panto
- Barbara Windsor's husband Scott 'training every day' for marathon dementia run
- Barbara Windsor helped into panto by Matt Lucas during rare appearance amid Alzheimer’s battle
Dame Barbara Windsor's husband Scott requests donations in her memory be made to charity have 632 words, post on www.mirror.co.uk at January 8, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.