If there is one film this season that seems to be increasingly relevant by the day it is Netflix’s The Trial of the Chicago 7, and that became abundantly clear after a conversation with writer-director Aaron Sorkin and some of his superb ensemble cast at Deadline’s Contenders Film awards-season event. The astounding thing is the events of the film took place over a half century ago but couldn’t feel more relevant. It is about a group of protesters accused of crossing state lines to cause a riot at the 1968 Chicago Democratic National Convention, and the subsequent trial in which they are tried as insurgents and instigators. Sound familiar? History is clearly repeating itself –the recent invasion of the U.S. Capitol by right-wing extremists and Donald Trump supporters is just the most recent evidence of that — but it is uncanny how urgently prescient this movie is, a film Sorkin says has taken 14 years to get to the screen after Steven Spielberg put it into motion and brought Sorkin in to do the screenplay. Sorkin would later end up directing it as well, and feels the timing is more important than ever. Related Story Deadline’s Contenders Film: Livestream, Schedule,… Read full this story
- 'Mockingbird' star Mary Badham comes home to Alabama
- Everything you need to know about the hottest tickets in town: Seattle events for November 2018
- Full Denver Film Festival lineup announced
- The 21 Best Events in Denver, September 11-17
- Burt Reynolds, Oscar-Nominated Star of ‘Boogie Nights’ and ‘Smokey and the Bandit,’ Dies at 82
- How do you tell an All-Star he screwed up? Steve Kerr reveals old Phil Jackson trick
- Patriots defense flashed playoff potential in win over Green Bay Packers (Film review)
- Plan your weekend: Labor Day fun, pop star Charlie Puth, Rum Festival, RuPaul’s Kiki and Shade’
- PRIEBUS hits Chicago — RAUNER says message, not money, matters — IT’S A WRAP for film studio lawsuit
- Chicago’s Top Cop Was Fired After the Laquan McDonald Shooting. Now He Wants to Be Mayor.
Aaron Sorkin & Stars On ‘The Trial Of The Chicago 7’s “14-Year Collision Course” With Current Events – Contenders Film have 331 words, post on deadline.com at January 23, 2021. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.