“As an intensive care doctor, I’m prepared to save people’s lives. What I wasn’t prepared for was risking my own life to do it,” says Dana Tomescu. The head of department No. 3 for Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine at the Fundeni Clinical Institute in Bucharest jumps right in before the DW reporter has finished asking the first question. What’s her experience of the pandemic? She feels “under threat,” she says. For months now, she has been fighting around the clock to save the lives of the most seriously ill COVID patients. “The fears I had at the beginning, before I started dealing with COVID patients, have lessened, but they haven’t gone away,” she says. High death rates among medical personnel The COVID death rate in Romania is high, including among medical personnel. In early December, the trade union Solidaritatea Sanitara reported an average of 6.8 deaths per 1,000 infections in the medical professions — a higher rate than among people of the same age doing other jobs. Many of the doctors DW spoke with told of chaos, mismanagement, corruption and a lack of protective measures. “The majority of the masks we use are actually intended for use in construction. It’s written on them explicitly:… Read full this story
- 'It will get worse, very quickly': Hospitals to be swamped by thousands of COVID-19 patients within a MONTH - as PM unveils $2.4B response to 'once in 50-year challenge' and cases reach 116
- Revealed: Doctor father of singer Missy Higgins triggers quarantine of 170 people because he saw patients at his clinic AND treated residents at a nursing home while ill with coronavirus
- COVID-19 in Bengaluru: The Corona catchers
- Infected doctor may have spread killer coronavirus to a large number of patients as FORTY members of hospital staff are forced into isolation
- Doctor who saw up to SEVENTY patients before he realised he was sick tests positive for coronavirus as total cases in Australia rises to 73
- Coronavirus 'tornado' is set to hit Australia 'like a category five storm' and will overwhelm hospitals - top doctor warns
- Two Edinburgh hospital doctors test positive for coronavirus after returning from skiing holiday in Italy
- 'We'll do anything for Australia': The toilet paper heroes working around the clock to keep supermarkets stocked as panic buying leaves shelves bare
- Australian woman struck down with COVID-19 says her symptoms were no worse than a 'sore throat and a headache' - so we should 'calm down'
- Australian employees could be forced to work four-day weeks and earn less money as coronavirus threatens the revenue of major companies
Romania ravaged by COVID as its doctors work abroad have 422 words, post on www.dw.com at December 20, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.