In a year defined by a devastating pandemic, the world lost iconic defenders of civil rights, great athletes and entertainers who helped define their genres. Many of their names hold a prominent place in the collective consciousness — RBG, Kobe, Maradona, Eddie Van Halen, Little Richard, Sean Connery, Alex Trebek, Christo — but pandemic restrictions often limited the public’s ability to mourn their loss in a year that saw more than a million people die from the coronavirus. U.S. Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg — known as the Notorious RBG to her many admirers — was one of the many noteworthy figures who died in 2020. In a court known for solemn legal proceedings, Ginsburg became a cultural and social media icon whose fierce defense of women’s rights earned her a devoted following. She died in September after 27 years on the country’s highest court. Making few concessions to age and health problems, she showed a steely resilience and became the leader of liberal justices on the court. The world also said goodbye to U.S. Rep. John Lewis, a lion of the civil rights movement who died in July. Other former political figures who died this year include Egyptian… Read full this story
- Emmerdale viewers devastated at Joe Tate’s final appearance on the soap as Graham Foster calls him to say final goodbye
- Family's letter to Carson Price as they say final goodbye
- Luke Perry’s daughter, 18, made frantic journey to his bedside from South Africa and made it in time to say final goodbye
- 'People die rather than ask for help'
- Funeral of Jodie Chesney: Scouts lead guard of honour as community says final goodbye to teenage victim of knife crime
- One of the world's most influential people predicts City finish
- Eighteen homeless people die in Stoke-on-Trent in five years
- Who were the most influential people a decade ago
- Clutha inquiry told how 10 people died
- Funds needed to help Hull family say goodbye to plane crash victim
Final goodbye: Recalling influential people who died in 2020 have 320 words, post on www.sfchronicle.com at December 18, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.