EASTENDERS fans were left heartbroken tonight as the soap paid tribute to Dame Barbara Windsor yet again in their end-of-year credits.
This evening’s episode of the show concluded with all of the cast and crew for the entire year thanked in the credits.
And as the lengthy list drew to a close, “in loving memory of Dame Barbara Windsor MBE” flashed up on viewers’ screens over the show’s famous London backdrop.
Fans at home were deeply touched by the tribute, with Barbara passing away earlier this month at the age of 83.
Flocking to Twitter to share their reaction, one fan wrote: “My heart is broken all over again” alongside a crying emoji.
Another added: “Nice to see them pay regards to dame Barbara.”
A third agreed: “Loving the end of credits tribute to Dame Barbara Windsor”.
One more said: “What a fantastic way to show appreciation to your amazing team and pay tribute to Barbara Windsor, in your credits. #EastEnders you have been truly phenomenal this year.”
This is not the first time that EastEnders has remembered the actress, who played beloved character Peggy Mitchell in the programme.
They previously paid tribute to the star following the episode that aired the day after Barbara’s death was announced.
After the credits rolled and famous theme tune played out, the words: “In loving memory of Dame Barbara Windsor MBE 1937 – 2020” appeared on a black screen.
And on Christmas Eve, a photo of Barbara as Peggy flashed up in the episode as Walford residents remembered their lost loved ones.
The screen icon played the landlady in the BBC One soap between 1994 and 2016, with the character one of Walford’s most iconic roles.
Most read in Soaps
Emmerdale fans say Jamie Tate will seduce Gabby Thomas after Andrea clash
Mick Carter’s turning point in EastEnders explained
EastEnders cast actor James Roberts as young Mick Carter for flashback scenes
EastEnders Luisa Bradshaw-White says she’s happy ‘door is shut’ on Tina Carter
EastEnders fans feel sick as Sharon tells Ian Beale she’s in love with him
Is Tina actually dead in EastEnders? Fans think she’ll return on New Year’s Day
The star’s husband Scott confirmed that the 83-year-old actress had “peacefully” passed away on the 10 December following her battle with Alzheimer’s disease.
Barbara was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease in 2014 and made the news public in 2018.
In a moving tribute, he called her his “precious Bar” and said: “I’ve lost my wife, my best friend and soul mate.”
Barbara’s former co-stars also paid touching tribute to the TV favourite, with Patsy Palmer and Shane Richie breaking down in tears on The One Show the day after her death.
- EastEnders star Ross Kemp says Dame Barbara Windsor still recognises him despite Alzheimer’s battle
- Dame Barbara Windsor still knows who I am, says on-screen son Ross Kemp
- Dame Barbara Windsor watches herself in Carry On films for comfort during Alzheimer’s battle
- Dame Barbara Windsor needs '24-hour care' as Alzheimer's worsens
- Dame Barbara Windsor eases dementia by watching Carry On films and EastEnders
- Dame Barbara Windsor needs watching round the clock as Alzheimer's worsens
- EastEnders fans heartbroken as Dr Legg dies at Dot Cotton's side
- Barbara Windsor apologises to husband Scott every day for having Alzheimer’s
- Barbara Windsor reveals she was ‘in awe’ of June Whitfield as she pays tribute to fellow dame following her death at 93
- Barbara Windsor asked EastEnders’ Jake Wood ‘why me?’ after her heartbreaking Alzheimer’s diagnosis
- Barbara Windsor reveals her pride as EastEnders co-stars run London Marathon in her honour
- Barbara Windsor helped into panto by Matt Lucas during rare appearance amid Alzheimer’s battle
- Barbara Windsor cracks joke from the audience as she watches Shane Richie in panto
- Barbara Windsor’s ‘confusion is really bad’ and she doesn’t recognise her own home says husband Scott as she battles Alzheimer’s
- Ross Kemp reveals Barbara Windsor relief: 'She still remembers me'
- ROGER LEWIS pays tribute to Dame June Whitfield
- Barbara Windsor cracks joke from the audience as she watches former EastEnders co-star Shane Richie in panto
- Barbara Windsor steals the show in rare appearance at Shane Richie's panto
- EastEnders fans baffled as Alfie Moon pays for lunch with £20
- EastEnders fans in tears of laughter over YouTuber’s spot on impressions of Dot, Kat and Stacey
EastEnders fans ‘heartbroken’ as soap pays tribute to Dame Barbara Windsor again in end-of-year credits have 733 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at December 29, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.