Despite the pro-women campaign rhetoric and the commitment expressed by major parties to gender equality, the Bihar election has not translated into greater representation of women in the state. In fact, with 26 MLAs, the assembly has now lost two women legislators as compared to 2015.This development has taken place even as the overall number of women contesting increased, from 8% to 10%. A total of 371 women contested the 2020 elections, against 273 in 2015. In 2020, 84 of them ran on major party tickets (the two principal alliances and the Lok Janshakti Party). (See Chart 1) Two parties, the Janata Dal (United), or JD(U), and the LJP, did make an effort by way of nominations, each selecting 22 women. But as these two parties underperformed in the election, and so did their women candidates: the LJP won only one seat; the JD(U) 43, out of which only six went to women candidates. In other words, the parties that made some effort towards nominating more women failed to convert these nominations into seats. The BJP nominated 13 women candidates out of 110 seats contested. Nine of them won. The two minor partners of the National Democratic… Read full this story
- Kerala Assembly Elections 2021: Congress being rejigged with Chandy back at helm
- West Bengal Assembly election: War of words intensifies as BJP's Suvendu Adhikari says 'will defeat Mamata Banerjee or quit politics'
- Election 2020: Facebook, Twitter and YouTube wrestle with misinformation
- Supreme Court refuses to entertain PIL for free, fair assembly polls in West Bengal
- West Bengal Elections 2021: BJP to hold Paribartan Yatras
- Assam Elections 2021: EC official takes stock of situation
- This election is a fight to save the republic: Sachin Pilot
- BJP starts campaigning for Rajasthan Assembly byelections
- TN Elections 2021: EC to visit poll bound state next week
- West Bengal Elections 2021: Views misinterpreted says Bengal minister
Bihar Assembly Election 2020: More women candidates but fewer winners have 285 words, post on www.hindustantimes.com at November 12, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.