Boris Johnson is facing a Tory civil war over his ‘rule of six’ coronavirus crackdown as Cabinet ministers and senior backbenchers urged the Prime Minister to make children exempt from the policy. A string of senior ministers opposed the measure at a crunch meeting earlier this week when it was adopted, with Chancellor Rishi Sunak among those to speak out. A Cabinet source said the rule was opposed by every member of the Prime Minister’s coronavirus strategy committee apart from Matt Hancock. The Health Secretary is said to have driven the decision to adopt the restriction, supported by Chief Medical Officer Chris Whitty and Chief Scientific Adviser Sir Patrick Vallance. The move has prompted growing anger within the Conservative Party with Mr Johnson under mounting pressure to change tack and follow Scotland and Wales by making children exempt from the crackdown. Welsh First Minister Mark Drakeford today said he did not believe it was ‘right’ to include young children in the rule in comments which are likely to be seen as a veiled criticism of Mr Johnson’s approach. Tory MPs believe a failure to remove children from the policy will result in voters accusing Mr Johnson of effectively cancelling Christmas. Senior… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson refuses to sack Dominic Cummings over Durham trip despite Tory civil war breaking out
- Tory ‘Civil War’ Hikes Pressure on Johnson to Sack Dominic Cummings for Breaching COVID-19 Lockdown
- Parents with childcare issues should 'do as Dominic Cummings did', says Cabinet minister Robert Jenrick as he shrugs off party's poll plunge telling 40 Tory MPs calling for aide to be sacked to 'move on'
- Contact tracing fiasco deepens as minister admits NHS Covid-19 app won't be up-and-running for 'a few weeks', security experts warn software could be hacked and workers hired to curb spread have 'never been so bored' and told to watch YOUTUBE videos
- Tough new rules to lock down parts of towns to rapidly isolate new coronavirus sufferers could be brought in TOMORROW
- Now Tory MPs demand the head of Dominic Cummings: Top Brexiteer Steve Baker leads anger on backbenches and says Britain 'can't afford this nonsense' over claims the maverick aide broke lockdown three times
- Boffin blame game: Dame Angela McLean says ministers DID drop vital coronavirus contact tracing too early in the outbreak because PHE 'did not have capacity' to test enough people - as furious finger pointing over failures breaks out
- Ex-health secretary Jeremy Hunt says ministers SHOULD publish SAGE scientific advice as pressure grows on Downing Street over coronavirus blame game with advisors
- Ministers squirm as they insist Dominic Cummings did NOT break rules by driving 260 miles to parents' home with his family while he was in coronavirus self-isolation - as maverick No10 chief insists he 'doesn't care' if it looks bad
- Six Cabinet members 'privately believe Dominic Cummings should resign' while 40 Tory MPs call for Boris Johnson to sack him over 'lockdown breach' controversy
Tory civil war over rule of six: Furious backbenchers brand new Covid restrictions 'worse than the disease itself' as it's revealed almost EVERY Cabinet minister argued against them – but Matt Hancock got his way have 480 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at September 11, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.