Faced with the most adversity since this exact day 19 years ago when the 2001 Toronto Film Festival was upended by the tragic terrorist attack on 9/11 that left nearly 3,000 dead, organizers and buyers and sellers of films head into the weekend with uncertainty over a mostly virtual TIFF 2020 that is severely hobbled by a coronavirus pandemic that has left nearly 200,000 dead just in the U.S. How will this year’s market play out? Who knows? Toronto doesn’t automatically guarantee a windfall of sales of finished films anyway. Last year, only one major deal closed before the buying crowd left Toronto, when HBO paid near $20 million for the Hugh Jackman-Allison Janney black comedy Bad Education. Related Story Toronto Starts With Knockout: Netflix In Final Talks To Acquire Halle Berry-Directed ‘Bruised’ In 8-Figure Global Deal The festival is just getting underway and already Netflix has clocked an eight-figure deal for the Halle Berry-directed MMA film Bruised. That deal is in the same price range of Bad Education, so we’re already ahead of the pace of the last pre-pandemic Toronto. But unless the streamers that have thrived during the lockdown go on a buying spree, there’s no obscuring the… Read full this story
- IPL 2020: Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers Bangalore get involved in hilarious banter over Virat Kohli and AB de Villiers
- Exclusive Sonny Bill Williams interview: joining Toronto Wolfpack is a 'beautiful challenge, because of the doors it can open'
- Dear marketer, don’t use 2010 strategies in 2020
- IPL 2020: Rajasthan Royals Troll RCB For Not Releasing Mr Nags After Expressing Interest to Trade Virat Kohli, AB De Villiers | SEE POST
- Waititi’s ‘Jojo Rabbit’ finds a mixed response in Toronto
- GOP Challenger Joe Walsh Calls President Trump ‘A Danger To The Country’
- Bradley’s finale? Maybe not if Toronto FC wins MLS Cup
- Opec+ faces 'major challenge' in 2020 from competitors' surging output: IEA
- Morgan Stanley sees US underperforming in 2020 across markets
- Road Warriors: Toronto heads to MLS Cup, wins 2-1 at Atlanta
Toronto 2020: Who The Hell Knows How Pandemic-Challenged Acquisitions Market Will Unfold have 335 words, post on deadline.com at September 20, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.