Wade Davis holds the Leadership Chair in Cultures and Ecosystems at Risk at the University of British Columbia. His award-winning books include “Into the Silence” and “The Wayfinders.” His new book, “Magdalena: River of Dreams,” is published by Knopf. Never in our lives have we experienced such a global phenomenon. For the first time in the history of the world, all of humanity, informed by the unprecedented reach of digital technology, has come together, focused on the same existential threat, consumed by the same fears and uncertainties, eagerly anticipating the same, as yet unrealized, promises of medical science. In a single season, civilization has been brought low by a microscopic parasite ten thousand times smaller than a grain of salt. COVID-19 attacks our physical bodies, but also the cultural foundations of our lives, the toolbox of community and connectivity that is for the human what claws and teeth represent to the tiger. Our interventions to date have largely focused on mitigating the rate of spread, flattening the curve of morbidity. There is no treatment at hand, and no certainty of a vaccine on the near horizon. The fastest vaccine ever developed was for mumps. It took four years. COVID-19 killed… Read full this story
- 'Turkey’s economic crisis is a glimpse into the future of Donald Trump’s America'
- Macron lambasts Trump’s ‘law of the most powerful’
- North Korea's detente with America is unravelling over impasse on nukes
- Towns in Brazil have become refugee camps for a tide of desperate Venezuelans
- Donald Trump rejected ‘global governance’ in UN speech as he stressed 'US sovereignty’
- Corporate crime: Five biggest financial scams of all time
- From the military to Wall Street to writing novels
- Best upcoming games: New games that must be played in 2018
- Analyst on US-DPRK Relations: More Mafia Diplomacy From Trump Should Be Expected
- The Surprising Longevity of Steve Mnuchin
The Unraveling of America have 317 words, post on www.rollingstone.com at August 6, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.