Hong Kong (CNN Business)Hong Kong media tycoon Jimmy Lai has called his arrest a “symbolic exercise” by local authorities to demonstrate that the sweeping national security law imposed by Beijing last month has “teeth.” Lai was arrested Monday on suspicion of colluding with foreign forces to endanger national security, conspiracy to defraud and intention to incite succession. That morning, 200 officers raided his pro-democracy newspaper Apple Daily and seized scores of boxes of documents. “There is always a price to pay. I have been fighting [for democracy] throughout the years,” he said, adding that he would continue to do so because “without freedom you have nothing left.” Lai is revered as a standard-bearer of the Hong Kong democracy movement by many. But others have long accused him of being an agent for the United States, due to his strong ties to Washington. Why pro-democracy troublemaker Jimmy Lai is the only Hong Kong multi-millionaire standing up to China Read More Despite that criticism, Lai said he believed he would get a fair trial, as the Communist Party of China (CCP) seeks to reassure the international business community that Hong Kong’s cherished rule of law will be upheld. He called his case… Read full this story
- Ferrari celebrates at Hong Kong's Asia World Expo
- What did Cowboys WR Terrance Williams say about May arrest?
- Automechanika Shanghai 2016 sets new records in exhibitors and visitors
- BREAKING NEWS: Beto O'Rourke QUITS 2020 race as campaign runs out of cash - after launching run on the front of Vanity Fair saying: 'Man, I'm just born to be in it.'
- Lexus Shows A New Face, Demonstrates Independence
- As police investigate Carruth, Cherica Adams and newborn son fight for their lives
- Kidnappers in Brazil Target Formula One Boss Bernie Ecclestone’s Mother-in-Law
- This Is the Revenge Porn Law We Need in America
- NASCAR CEO France on leave of absence after reported DWI arrest
- Soccer Players and Their Coach Are on the Mend, Thailand Says
Hong Kong media tycoon says 'the fight has to go on' after 'symbolic' arrest under new law have 319 words, post on edition.cnn.com at August 14, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.