A new report claims that the planned Power Rangers movie reboot will take place within the continuity of the TV show franchise. The new characters being introduced will belong to the canon spread out over 28 years, and it’s possible for past rangers to appear in this new iteration. More big changes have also been revealed.
Since their debut in the early 1990s, the Power Rangers have had a vast assortment of series, spin-offs and toy lines, with the martial arts fighting superheroes continuing to be popular even today. Their last big screen adventure back in 2017 was met with mixed reviews and a lackluster box office, leaving fans wondering when Hasbro and Paramount Pictures will next attempt to bring the multi-colored warriors to theaters. Well, according to a new report, this is being discussed as we speak, with sources revealing several new details regarding what they have planned for the movie.
Allegedly, time travel will feature heavily in the plot of the movie, with the Power Rangers returning to when it all began, way back in that ancient time of the 90s. It has also been reported that Hasbro is looking for a diverse cast for the Power Rangers movie and intend to include actors of different racial backgrounds as well as members of the LGBTQ+ community. The report also claims that Hasbro are looking to cast a female lead for the movie. Seeing as the Power Rangers movies so far have all been led by a male; this would be a major change.
The report reveals various details about weaponry, suits and Zords (the giant battle robots used by the Power Rangers), and even some information regarding the direction of the villains, with sources alleging that Lord Zedd will be the main villain of the movie and that the Ranger’s mentor Zordon will be involved in the time-traveling element that throws the Rangers back in time.
Finally, sources indicate that the Power Rangers movie will take place in the same continuity as the television show, meaning that all the Rangers that have fought for the universe over the last 28 years will be in the same timeline and continuity as the newly introduced Rangers.
Should these details prove to be true, they certainly make sense, with several recent blockbusters using time travel as a major plot point. One of the more prominent of which being Avengers: Endgame , which used the time travel element to take audiences back to previous MCU installments. Nostalgia has also become an important tool in modern times, on both the big and small screens, and this report sounds like Power Rangers would use time travel to tug at those particular heartstrings.
The Lionsgate helmed reboot of the property tried hard to drag the Power Rangers into the modern world, with mixed results. Initially, there were big plans for the franchise , with Lionsgate at one point aiming for six or seven sequels, and though fans were excited for the movie at first, Power Rangers was met with a mixed response. The movie then disappointed at the box office, grossing only $142.5 million worldwide, and thus bringing the prospective franchise to end before it really had a chance to begin.
Power Rangers (2017) follows five ordinary teens who must become something extraordinary when they learn that their small town of Angel Grove – and the world – is on the verge of being obliterated by an alien threat. Chosen by destiny, our heroes quickly discover they are the only ones who can save the planet. But to do so, they will have to overcome their real-life issues and before it’s too late, band together as the Power Rangers.
The movie is, of course, based on the long-running superhero franchise of the same name, and was directed by Dean Israelite and written by John Gatins. The 2017 reboot features the main characters of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers television series with a new cast, starring Dacre Montgomery, Naomi Scott, RJ Cyler, Becky G, Ludi Lin, Bill Hader, Bryan Cranston, and Elizabeth Banks.
This comes to us from The Illuminerdi .
- New York Rangers 2020-21 NHL season preview
- Dame Barbara Windsor's funeral set to take place at the end of this week with a private service for limited mourners
- Game of Thrones Season 6 Arya, Sansa & Loras Details Revealed
- Screenwriter Max Landis Stages His #MeToo Comeback With a Girl Power Action Movie
- How the power of paint can transform your home: Renovation expert reveals how spending just $10k resulted in a $60k profit - and the colours that will make your property look expensive
- Grace Millane killer showed chilling signs of control and power in his behaviour on their Tinder date, expert reveals
- Ahead of mega COVID-19 vaccine rollout, second dry run to take place on Friday
- Apple’s Mountain Lion preview: iCloud, apps, and new Power Nap for $20
- 'I'm no longer scared of falling or failing': Myleene Klass reveals she feels 'supremely grateful' Dancing On Ice is able to go ahead amid lockdown
- The Weeknd finally takes off his bandages to reveal creepy new look with FILLERS... but it's just prosthetics for latest music video Save Your Tears
- Giant David Hasselhoff Prop from The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie Is Up for Auction
- Netflix: brilliant movies to watch this week - October 2020
- Tituss Burgess reveals incredible 'nip tuck' transformation after weight loss in quarantine: 'I had a few arrangements'
- The Simpsons 'predicts' ANOTHER world event! 2007's big-screen version saw Springfield sealed off by the government... with fans likening it to the tiered lockdown system in the UK
- Saira Khan reveals she is QUITTING Loose Women after five years as she has 'reassessed her priorities'... just two weeks after Andrea McLean departed from the show
- Rangers look to build on last season’s improved play
- King Arthur Trailer Reveals Charlie Hunnam as the Legendary Knight
- 'My wild nights are over, and I've never been happier!' New mother Sheridan Smith reveals how arrival of son Billy in May ended years of self-doubt
- Will The Walking Dead Rick Grimes Movie Arrive in Theaters with an R-Rating?
- Soul Alternate Ending Revealed by Pixar Team
New Power Rangers Movie Takes Place in TV Show Continuity, More Big Details Revealed? have 1018 words, post on movieweb.com at July 13, 2020. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.