SINGAPORE: Singaporean children returning from overseas who wish to enrol in a secondary school, junior college or Millennia Institute next year can apply to take do so from Wednesday (Jul 15), said the Ministry of Education (MOE) on Tuesday.
The School Placement Exercises for Returning Singaporeans (SPERS) is an annual exercise held towards the end of each year.
Singaporean parents working abroad can apply for their children to re-enter the mainstream school system when the family relocates back to Singapore.
Returning Singaporean children will need to sit for one set of centralised SPERS tests and then indicate their school choices before MOE posts them to a suitable school.
READ: Students whose overseas studies were disrupted by COVID-19 have options in local universities: MOE
Placement results will be released in December, and students will be able to join their new schools at the start of the school term in 2021.
Students returning to Singapore will generally not be able to re-enter the school system at Secondary 4 and Pre-University 2 levels as those are national examination years, said MOE.
Those who are unable to return in time to sit for the SPERS tests for secondary schools in September can do so under the Supplementary Placement Exercise (SPE).
SPE applications will open in October, with the tests tentatively scheduled for mid-December. Applicants will receive their results in early February next year, with admissions beginning the same month.
READ: Home-based learning should be ‘a regular part of school life', possibly once a fortnight: Ong Ye Kung
“In view of the COVID-19 situation, the conduct of the centralised placement exercises will be subjected to the national measures in place leading up to and during the actual test dates,” said MOE.
“MOE will keep parents updated should there be any changes or cancellation of these exercises,” it added.
READ: GE2020: Singapore’s education system prepares young people to have flexibility, skills to prepare for any job, says SM Teo
The ministry also encouraged returning Singaporeans to make use of MOE’s Assured School Placement service to secure a place in a school near their Singapore residence.
The Assured School Placement service guarantees that a returning student will be admitted into a school with vacancies near their residence, even before they return to Singapore.
The student would not need to sit for any centralised test, although the school may conduct school-based assessments or an interview to determine the level and course to place the student in.
Returning singaporeans at the Primary School level may approach MOE at any time of the year for assistance for admission, and do not have to sit for placement tests.
- Open Carry Texas planing rally in Olmos Park
- Officer shoots armed former student at Illinois high school
- Getting humbled at an elite driving school just for Ferrari owners
- The Devil Wears Prada’s new LP battles your ‘ADD’ with perfect song placement
- 24 New And Notable Android Apps And Live Wallpapers From The Last 2 Weeks (2/10/15
- 15 data science certifications that will pay off
- Comments for : Sprint moves to LTE, inks a 15-year deal with LightSquared
- OPINION What Open Source Can Learn From Steve Jobs, Part 1
- 38 Best Android Wear Apps And Watch Faces From 12/3/15—3/4/16
- 30 new and notable Android games from the last week (3/14/18
- 30 new and notable Android games from the last week (4/25/18
- Report: Aggies' Christian Kirk arrested after rock-throwing incident
- 18 new and notable Android games from the last week (5/10/18
- 17 new and notable (and 1 WTF) Android games from the last week (4/11/18
- 40 Best New Android Games From The Last 2 Weeks (4/6/12
- 22 new and notable Android games from the last week (4/18/18
- 20 new and notable Android games from the last week (5/2/18
- 50 Best (And 1 WTF) New Android Apps And Live Wallpapers From The Last 3 Weeks (2/20/12
- 30 new and notable Android games from the last week (3/21/18
- 24 new and notable Android games from the last week (2/28/18
MOE to open applications for school placement exercise for returning Singaporeans on Jul 15 have 648 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at July 14, 2020. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.