SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — From catastrophic call center failures to missing unemployment payments, California’s Employment Development Department (EDD) has faced widespread criticism amid the unemployment crisis, and it’s not the first time. Lawmakers are now calling for another EDD audit — the last one was prompted by an ongoing CBS13 investigation — but is another audit enough to fix the agency? CBS13 Investigative Reporter Julie Watts asked that question in a series of interviews with various lawmakers. “Thank you for your stories and your coverage,” Assembly Member David Chiu (D-San Francisco) said before responding to our questions during a recent press conference. “I have read now dozens of (your) stories about EDD, both just in the last few weeks, but also stories from years ago. And to your point, it is Groundhog Day.” Echoing the sentiment in a separate interview, Congressman Josh Harder (D–CA 10th District) noted, “It shouldn’t take a member of Congress or an investigative reporter in order to get real results.” “The auditor is our best and most effective tool,” said Assemblyman Jim Patterson (R-Fresno). He is calling for yet another EDD audit. Let’s recap: The Last EDD Audit The most recent State Audit of the EDD was… Read full this story
- Coronavirus Unemployment: EDD Limits Lawmakers’ Efforts To Help Californians Collect Unemployment
- Coronavirus Unemployment: EDD Missing Data – How Many Still Waiting for First Payments?
- ‘Absolutely Unacceptable’: California Lawmaker Calls For Audit Of EDD While Many Wait For Benefits
- Coronavirus Unemployment: Inside EDD’s $11.1 Million Call Center Contract As Calls Go Unanswered
- Coronavirus Unemployment: EDD Acknowledges Staff May Be Responsible For Costly Date Errors
- EDD Working To Hire 1,800 Employees During Pandemic
- State To Hire Nearly 2,000 Temporary Staffers To Help Manage Surge In Unemployment Applications
- As the Coronavirus Pandemic Persists, Mitch McConnell’s Senate Dawdles
- Russia may slash main interest rate as coronavirus takes toll: Reuters poll
- Gig driver or Uber/Lyft employee? It affects unemployment benefits
Coronavirus Unemployment: Will Another Audit Fix the EDD? have 312 words, post on sacramento.cbslocal.com at July 26, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.