The mistreatment and persecution of the LGBTQ community in Chechnya has been an ongoing issue, but in March 2017 a glaring spotlight was put on the Russian republic as reports of gay and bisexual men being abducted, tortured, beaten and even killed at the hands of authorities started coming to the forefront. Oscar-nominated director David France did not waste any time in deciding to confront this issue head-on with the documentary Welcome to Chechnya, which debuts June 30 on HBO. In a place where there are no protections for those in the LGBTQ community and where they are openly mistreated and oppressed, France already had a volatile landscape to navigate. In the documentary, he follows a group of undercover activists in Chechnya who risk their lives to rescue victims and provide them with safe houses and visa assistance to escape an oppressive system. We are introduced David Isteev, the Crisis Response Coordinator for the nation-wide Russian LGBT Network as well as Olga Baranova, Director of the Moscow Community Center for LGBT+ Initiatives. With their global network, they offer assistance for those seeking freedom and often hide members of a community at a Moscow shelter.-risk members of the LGBTQ community at a… Read full this story
- Coping With COVID-19 Crisis: ‘How To Survive A Plague’ Director David France On The Lessons Of AIDS, The Benefits Of Fear And The Potential For Rage
- Bill Gates says Donald Trump is 'dangerous' for cutting $500million in funding to the WHO because the world 'needs them now more than ever' to stop the pandemic
- TOM UTLEY: I fear these may be my famous last words, but might David Hockney have a point about smoking warding off coronavirus?
- Syria crisis: France and Russia clash over threat of force - live updates
- EU leaders in Covid-19 talks as Merkel issues lockdown exit warning
- Pulse Films CEO Thomas Benski Talks Delivering ‘Gangs Of London’ During A Pandemic, Shooting Commercials In Quarantine & Moving Out Of Film And TV Management
- Rina Sawayama Talks Internalized Biphobia, Coming Out As Pansexual & New 'Cherry' Music Video
- David Cameron and Angela Merkel hold EU reform talks
- Top US Doctor Fauci Says Meeting Tinder Matches OK ‘If You’re Willing to Take a Risk’
- Boris Johnson snuffs out Cabinet calls for early easing of lockdown: PM intervenes from Chequers rehab to insist a second peak of coronavirus outbreak not economic misery is the biggest danger
‘Welcome To Chechnya’ Director David France Talks Dangerous Risks And Lifesaving Hope Of LGBTQ Docu have 392 words, post on deadline.com at June 29, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.