Despite only appearing in two movies, the Gremlins remain a fan-favorite, with the first movie, in particular, having gone on to become a Christmas staple for many. Discussions surrounding a third installment have been going on for some time now, but sadly Gremlins 3 has never come to fruition. Well, screenwriter Carl Ellsworth has now revealed a few details regarding a draft he penned for Gremlins 3 which had been in development as recently as three years ago.
The idea was to adhere the third movie closer to the 1984 original, with the tone of Gremlins 3 more in line with the family-friendly horror and less of the slapstick seen in the 1990 sequel. Carl Ellsworth had this to say about the movie that wasn’t.
“(It) was thought of as a direct sequel mostly to the first film-not discounting the second one by any stretch, but I saw it as very much a passing-the-baton story, staying in the tone of the original. I think that helped get me the job: I said, ‘Yeah, there’s a lot of humor in the movie, helped by the classic Jerry Goldsmith score that gives us a license to laugh, but it’s first and foremost a horror movie.'”
It is the horror-first-comedy-second aspect of the first Gremlins that has led to it standing the test of time and being so well-regarded by so many, and thus it makes sense why Ellsworth would want to return to that balance. Ultimately, Ellsworth wanted the third movie to go back to what makes the Gremlins such a troublesome pet and dangerous nuisance in the first place.
“These little creatures-what they’re really doing, they’re cold-blooded little murderers , you know? They’re psychotic little creatures that are killing everybody. So that’s where it all started….I tried to preserve the humor, but at the same time, I was starting with the foundation of this being a horror movie, which I was really thrilled about.”
Ellsworth then added that the plan was to have original star Zach Galligan reprise his role of Billy Peltzer and that he and Gizmo would have taken on the role of aged soldiers returning to war akin to Han Solo and Chewbacca in Star Wars: The Force Awakens . In fact, Gizmo would have been very important to the story, with the third movie also delving deeper into the origin of the Gremlins .
“Gizmo was at the very core of the story; it explored more of the mythology and the history of the Gremlins.”
Ellsworth certainly sounds like he was on the right track with his ideas for a third Gremlins movie, and hopefully audiences will eventually get to see some semblance of it. Whilst his exploration of the Gremlin’s history has not yet made it to the big screen, the upcoming animated series Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai sounds like it will explore some of the same ideas.
Set in 1920s Shanghai, Secrets of the Mogwai will tell the story of how 10-year-old Sam Wing (the future shop owner Mr. Wing in the 1984 movie) met the young Mogwai called Gizmo. Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai will debut on HBO Max sometime in 2021. This comes to us from ComingSoon.net .
- The next Mass Effect game is definitely a direct sequel to Mass Effect 3, here's why
- The Anarchic Comedy of Joe Dante’s ‘Gremlins’
- Could YOUR childhood video games be worth a fortune? Expert reveals the PlayStation, Sega and Nintendo classics that could fetch up to $1,000 second-hand
- Where Every Classic Christmas Movie Is Available to Watch Online in 2020
- Alien series is in development at FX with Legion creator Noah Hawley... and original Alien director Ridley Scott in talks to executive produce
- Tom Bergeron reveals he will never return to Dancing With the Stars again: 'The train has left the station'
- Lindsay Lohan gushes that she and her Mean Girls costars are 'all still good friends'... and talks sequel to the hit high school film
- Amy Adams to return in Disney's 'Enchanted' sequel
- Natalie Portman reveals children are using Australian words as she films new Thor movie Down Under
- New Halloween Movie Gets Eastbound & Down Team to Write and Direct
- Australia's billion dollar coronavirus vaccine is SCRAPPED after trial participants returned HIV false positives - causing order for 51million doses of the home-grown jab to be terminated
- WoW Classic: Phase 2 launches on Nov. 12
- Sanjay Dutt shooting for an action-packed KGF sequel without a body double
- RUMOUR HAS IT: Mohanlal To Reveal Drishyam 2 Teaser On Christmas Day 2020?
- The top young movers and shakers of 2021: Forbes reveals the 600 entrepreneurs, activists, scientists and entertainers on the verge of making it big
- Stick another sprout on the BBQ! Chefs reveal how to prepare a three-course Christmas dinner OUTSIDE to avoid indoor household mixing - from barbecued turkey to grilled pudding
- Britain's Bad Weather Finally Pays Off: Boris Johnson Plans UK Self-Sufficiency From Offshore Wind
- AFM Hot Pic: George Miller To Direct Movie Epic ‘Three Thousand Years Of Longing’, FilmNation To Launch Sales
- Boris Johnson and JVT reveal their intense emotions at being able to reveal roll-out of Pfizer vaccine that finally offers prospect of a return to real life on the day controversial Tier system came into being
- Exclusive: Yash Raj Films To Produce Kalpana Chawla Biopic, Shimit Amin To Direct The Film
Scrapped Gremlins 3 Plans Revealed, Was a Direct Sequel to Original Classic have 885 words, post on movieweb.com at June 26, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.