The John Wayne Airport in Santa Ana, California may revert to its original name of the Orange County Airport. Friday, the Democratic Party of Orange County (DPOC) issued an emergency resolution to rename the airport, due to a number of racist comments the actor, born Marion Robert Morrison, made. “Orange County is now a diverse region far different from the time when John Wayne was chosen as namesake for the airport,” the DPOC wrote. The John Wayne Airport was given that name in 1979, the same year the actor died. “There have been numerous calls to remove John Wayne’s namesake from Orange County’s airport because of Wayne’s white supremacist, anti-LGBT, and anti-Indigenous views which were shared in part in a a 1971 interview, where Wayne is quoted saying, ‘I believe in white supremacy’ and ‘I don’t feel guilty about the fact that five or 10 generations ago these people were slaves,'” the DPOC added. Get your unlimited Newsweek trial > The 1971 interview in question appeared in Playboy magazine. In a question about Black activist Angela Davis saying that some people would revoke her teaching credentials because she is Black, Wayne said he didn’t believe in giving authority to “irresponsible”… Read full this story
- Joe Biden calls Donald Trump's 1776 Commission 'ignorance and lies' as he signs orders on racial equity saying George Floyd's death has 'opened the eyes of millions' on fighting 'white supremacy'
- House Democrats Preparing To Force Vote To Strip Marjorie Taylor Greene From Her Committees
- How Zendaya, John David Washington & Sam Levinson Conjured ‘Malcolm & Marie’ During Covid Lockdown, And Made Sure Their Crew Shared In The Profits
- Coronavirus live updates: Oakland airport debuts vending machines selling test kits
- 'I'm gonna regret this': Olivia Newton-John's daughter Chloe Lattanzi shares bizarre anti-vaxxer rant about COVID-19 conspiracy theories
- GOP has growing Marjorie Taylor Greene problem
- Colorado’s long history — and uncertain present — with the KKK and other hate groups
- House Democrats Boot Rep. Greene Off Committees in Largely Partisan Vote
- Why Giving Marjorie Taylor Greene the Steve King Treatment Might Not Work
- FNC’s Carlson: ‘This Is the Most Sweeping and Audacious Assault on Civil Liberties in American History’
John Wayne's Name May Be Stripped From Airport for White Supremacy Remarks have 351 words, post on www.newsweek.com at June 27, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.