I went into the 1998 film dreading what Hollywood would do to it. Now it feels like the kind of thing for which we used to keep Hollywood around. Photo: Sony Pictures Releasing Every week for the foreseeable future, Vulture will be selecting one film to watch as part of our Friday Night Movie Club. This week’s selection comes from film critic Bilge Ebiri, who will begin his screening of The Mask of Zorro on May 22 at 7 p.m. ET. Head to Vulture’s Twitter to catch his live commentary, and look ahead at next week’s movie here. I don’t know how exactly it happened, but sometime in the 1990s, Hollywood rediscovered the swashbuckler. Maybe it started with the somewhat unlikely (and slightly ridiculous) success of 1991’s Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, or maybe it dated back to 1987’s The Princess Bride. Or maybe it was a natural result of the search for reinvention-friendly throwbacks that the Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies had prompted. But soon enough, we were getting … well, not exactly a stream, but certainly a steady trickle of period films in which characters drew swords. Stephen Herek’s Three Musketeers came in 1993. Michael Caton-Jones’s Rob Roy came in 1995. Michael Mann’s Last… Read full this story
- First Six Star Wars Movies Will Play 2015 Shanghai Film Festival
- Ben Affleck Is a Little Nervous About His Matt Damon Reunion Movie The Last Duel
- Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom movie review: A new low for the iconic franchise; extinction is the only cure
- Is Good at Football, Bad at Drama
- Extreme Close-ups Are Defining the Current Movie Moment
- Good News: Another Special Reason To Celebrate For The Team Of Ondu Motteya Kathe!
- Simpsons Movie 2 Will Happen, Just Not for a Long Time
- Taapsee Pannu’s Thappad’s Early Movie Reviews Are Out!
- Black Panther Is a Grittier, Darker Marvel Movie Says Chadwick Boseman
- What Is President Obama's Favorite Movie of 2015?
Why Can’t Every Movie Be as Good as have 316 words, post on www.vulture.com at May 20, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.