The Hollywood Bowl has scrapped its entire summer concert season due to the coronavirus crisis, in a ‘devastating’ move that leaves the Los Angeles Philharmonic with an $80 million shortfall.
The famous open-air California venue has hosted acts from the Beatles to Yo-Yo Ma over nearly a century, and its concerts from June through September are a staple of Los Angeles cultural life.
‘We are all broken-hearted by the effects of this crisis and share the disappointment of all those who look forward to the Bowl’ concerts, said Los Angeles Philharmonic Association CEO Chad Smith in a statement.
The Hollywood Bowl, which has hosted acts from the Beatles to Yo-Yo Ma over nearly a century, made the unprecedented move of cancelling its entire 2020 summer concert season due to the coronavirus outbreak
It marks the first summer without concerts since the venue, known for its distinctive shell-shaped stage nestled in the Hollywood Hills, opened in 1922.
Andrea Bocelli, Bob Dylan and Diana Ross were among the artists scheduled to perform this summer. The venue also hosts film screenings and sing-alongs.
The move confirms a precarious financial situation for the LA Philharmonic, which co-manages the Bowl and schedules its summer season.
The company had already scrapped spring concerts at the downtown Walt Disney Concert Hall and drawn on its endowment.
On Wednesday, it announced further cost-cutting measures for the summer. A quarter of non-union employees and the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra will be furloughed, on top of previous salary reductions and part-time layoffs.
‘We are doing what is necessary to ensure that we are all here for the next century,’ added Smith.
Italian singer, songwriter and record producer Andrea Bocelli was scheduled to perform at the Hollywood Bowl until the venue cancelled its entire 2020 concert lineup because of the coronavirus. Bocelli is pictured in Milan before a performance earlier this year
Rock legend Bob Dylan was among the performers who was scheduled to perform at the Hollywood Bowl this summer until it cancelled its 2020 concert lineup because of COVID-19. Dylan is pictured during a 2019 performance
Diana Ross also was to appear at the Hollywood Bowl this year until its 2020 summer concert calendar was canceled. Ross is pictured during a performance in Dallas in November
California has registered more than 74,000 cases of coronavirus, so far, with more than 3,000 deaths.
Los Angeles County has more than 35,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19, which has been blamed for at least 1,700 deaths.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has warned that large gatherings including concerts and sporting events may not resume this year.
‘This decision makes me heartsick for all the County residents who have made the Bowl and the Ford a treasured ritual of each summer, although this is the best decision to make in the face of the threat from the COVID-19 pandemic,’ said Los Angeles County Supervisor Sheila Kuehl.
Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti has warned that large gatherings including concerts and sporting events may not resume this year. The marquee outside the Hollywood Bowl since it closed because of the coronavirus reads ‘Stay safe & healthy, see you soon’
- Bob Dylan Talks: A Raw and Extensive First Rolling Stone Interview
- Harrods to display art in its windows for the first time with a selection of diamond-dusted portraits of icons such as Marilyn Monroe and Jackie Kennedy by A-list favourite Russell Young
- How Princess Margaret was BANNED from returning to the US by British officials after her debauched Hollywood visits saw her party until 3am with Frank Sinatra, insult Elizabeth Taylor, flirt with John Travolta and decline cocaine from Jack Nicholson
- Why Meghan broke down in tears when she watched Princess Diana’s funeral
- Golden Globes 2020: Succession cast put on a VERY raucous display at star-studded HBO after-party after scooping top TV honour
- Golden Globes 2020: Inside the After Parties
- NFL Playoffs 2020: Ranking the best possible Super Bowl LIV matchups, with a huge rematch at No. 1
- Power Publicists Jennifer Allen and Melissa Kates on Lessons Learned and How to Spin a Scandal in 2020
- How James Corden Conquered Late Night One ‘Carpool Karaoke’ at a Time
- New year, new headache for queen with Harry and Meghan rift
- The 51 most outrageous lines from Donald Trump's repugnant North Carolina rally
- The best podcasts of 2020
- On the Road With Rose McGowan: An Actress Turned Activist Leaves the "Hollywood Bubble" Behind
- Jennifer Lopez and Shakira will headline the Super Bowl LIV halftime show in Miami
- 20 for 2020: unmissable culture and rising stars
- Ben Fogle donates his entire salary for this year's Animal Park to pay for pensioners' TV licences - as WWII PoW, 99, blasts BBC for axing 'lifeline' to 3.7million over-75s
- Golden Globes 2020: It's party time! Hailey Bieber, Paris Hilton and Jessica Alba bring glitz and glamour as the A-list let their hair down at InStyle bash
- Inside David Bowie’s Final Years
- Mike McCarthy's Cowboys coaching staff in 2020: Who's in, who's out and who might be on the way to Dallas
- 2019 Worldwide Box Office Hits $42.5B Record; Offshore Too With $31B+: Highlights From The International Profit Center & What’s Ahead For 2020 – Global Studio Chart
Time to say goodbye! Hollywood Bowl cancels its entire concert line-up for 2020, including Andrea Bocelli, Bob Dylan and Diana Ross, for the first time ever in 98 years amid coronavirus have 848 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at May 13, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.