NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – In a historic move, New York City subways closed overnight for cleaning. Gov. Andrew Cuomo says there’s no telling when 24/7 service will resume. As CBS2’s John Dias reported Wednesday, the cleaning is a direct response to how filthy the trains have become during the coronavirus pandemic, risking the health of essential workers who rely on them to get to work. Service officially shut down between 1 and 5 a.m. at all 472 stations in order to disinfect cars and platforms and to prevent the homeless from riding overnight. Police say 1,000 officers will patrol the system during those hours. Mayor Bill De Blasio said the first night of shutdowns brought some good news. “Last night, 139 homeless individuals out of 252 engaged by our outreach workers and by the NYPD officers specially trained in homeless outreach, 139 individuals agreed to accept support, accept services, and come in off the streets, come in out of the subways. This number is extraordinary,” the mayor said Wednesday. “We have, more importantly, never, ever seen so much success in in a single night before. We’ve never seen this many people, this high a percentage of people who are living… Read full this story
- Coronavirus prank of men in hazmat suits carrying liquid on New York City subway causes spectacle
- Tunneling through 115 years of New York City's subway system in rarely seen photos from its construction in the early 20th Century
- How to End Homelessness in New York City
- Gisele Bundchen and husband Tom Brady touch down in New York City via helicopter amid rumors they are relocating to the Big Apple
- Homelessness in New York City: Here are the statistics
- How BTS Secretly Visited New York City's Most Famous Deli For 'The Tonight Show'
- New York City aims to fight anti-Semitism with ad campaign highlighting Jewish community
- Bill de Blasio on Trump, Cuomo, and Getting New York to Like You
- The Profound Loneliness of New York Subway Platforms
- Coronavirus Update: Upstate New York Couple Among Cruise Ship Passengers Under Quarantine In Japan
New York City Subway Closes Overnight For Cleaning Amid Coronavirus Pandemic have 329 words, post on newyork.cbslocal.com at May 6, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.