(CNN)A Kentucky woman gave birth steps away from a hospital entrance assisted by her husband, who tied off the umbilical cord with a protective face mask.
Sarah Rose Patrick felt initial labor pangs on May 8, but her doctor told her she was not yet in labor, she told CNN.
Early the next morning, she woke up with painful contractions. But when they arrived at Baptist Health Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky, the sliding doors to the hospital’s Labor and Delivery Department were locked, according to Patrick.
But her baby couldn’t wait.
“You’re delivering your baby in the cold night air, on the street, in Covid-19,” Patrick said. “It’s the last thing you want.”
With the help of a 911 dispatcher, her husband, David, helped bring their third child, Navi Bond Patrick, into the world.
The final step required tying off the baby’s umbilical cord. But they had no shoelaces or ties. So, David improvised, using his wife’s hand-sewn protective face mask.
After Navi was safely delivered, hospital staff arrived and took them inside..
The hospital told CNN the entrance the Patricks’ tried to use is designed to be constantly open.
“Patients who come to Baptist Health Louisville, who are pregnant and in labor, can always enter the hospital in the middle of the night through the Emergency Room or enter through the entrance to the Labor and Delivery department which is located in the front of the building at 3900 Kresge Way,” the hospital told CNN in a statement. “Both entrances have signage and both entrances are open 24 hours a day and 7 days a week. Other entrances to the hospital are closed after 7 p.m. until 5 a.m.”
For Patrick, giving birth to a healthy baby despite “terrifying” circumstances makes her grateful.
“These are such scary times, with so much fear everywhere and so much danger, but for me having that, it gives me peace,” Patrick said.
- My Facebook baby: Woman, 37, gives birth to daughter after winning a course of IVF treatment in online competition
- 'They told us we had lost him': Mother who was told her premature baby had no pulse during a 96 hour labour miraculously gives birth to him alive - and he's now 'healthy and happy'
- Mum who gave birth to her own niece says surrogacy is an 'addiction'
- 'I felt like a dead animal being hacked up': How a mother, 27, was left covered in blood while out SHOPPING with her husband to feeling the first CUT during her emergency Caesarean in horror birth ordeal
- Mercedes Javid's husband Tommy Feight 'pleads not guilty to charges of trespassing and vandalizing' her Shahs Of Sunset co-star Reza Farahan's backyard
- Hubby may get away with affairs, but not the wife!
- Woman faces a race against time to carry a baby for her sister and dying brother-in-law - after they failed to conceive for nine years before he was diagnosed with terminal cancer
- Mexican cartel kingpin El Chapo's beauty queen wife, 29, is all SMILES as she leaves court after the 61-year-old is found GUILTY on all charges in drug trafficking trial - after first welling up with tears and giving him the thumbs up
- Strictly’s Karen Clifton takes a swipe at ex-husband Kevin with meme saying she doesn’t want to go back to work
- S Africa to give state burial to Winnie Madikizela-Mandela
- When last did you give your wife complete MOT?!
- Wife, 51, says £297-a-year MISTLETOE injections are keeping her breast cancer from returning
- I am scared of my husband's temper
- Pregnant Jamie Otis ‘scared’ as docs find possible cancer signs – but she can’t get surgery until after birth
- Strictly’s Chris Ramsay embarrassed as wife claims he made his ‘sex face’ live on TV after being praised by judges
- 'I don't have enough time to spend with them individually': Peter Andre's wife Emily reveals her parenting worries as she debates having more children
- Volunteer firefighter leaves behind his two young kids and wife to battle bushfires just days after horror cancer diagnosis - but insists 'I'm not a hero'
- Jacqueline Jossa and Dan Osborne SPLIT: Pregnant actress and husband 'determined to save relationship and insist they still love each other'
- Celebrity deaths 2019: The famous faces and notable figures we said goodbye to this year
- Is 'Gucci' Grace Mugabe heading back to Zimbabwe to face the music? Dictator's widow hides under a blanket outside funeral home Singapore as she faces arrest for stealing the African country's wealth
Husband ties off umbilical cord with face mask after wife gives birth in hospital parking lot have 755 words, post on edition.cnn.com at May 16, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.