A BRIT mum who went into premature labour on Ryanair ended up stuck in quarantine for seven weeks in Portugal.
Lauren McLean, 28, gave birth to Oscar Jacob Wall while heading home to Birmingham from Tenerife, after the flight was diverted for an emergency landing in Faro.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
She hailed midwife Angela Chamberlain as her “saviour” for successfully delivering her boy – who weighed 3lb 7oz, and was born 10 weeks early.
Angela told Birmingham Mail, “it was like a Hollywood movie”, as she carefully took Lauren’s weight while supporting her on the plane floor.
The midwife had leapt into action after the crew called for help when Lauren suddenly realised she was going into labour at 30,000 feet.
Lauren told the Mail Online that she was lying on black bin liners at the rear of the Boeing 737, “terrified” and taking “really big deep breaths” during contractions.
The first inkling of the impending premature labour occurred when Lauren, “went to the toilet and could feel my baby’s head emerging.
“I knew it was serious and my mum was inside the cubicle with me and knew we had to do something.”
She said: “I just knew that I could not give birth [on the flight] as I did not want to lose my son.”
Angela said: “An air hostess was looking out of the window so she could tell me the exact moment we would land, so we would brace ourselves and I could take the weight on my hands on the floor.”
Emergency responders were waiting for the plane in Faro, and Oscar was born 15 minutes afer the flight touched down, after “two small pushes,” said Lauren.
She added: “It was like something out of a film.”
The newborn was then rushed to Faro hospital.
However, because of Portugal’s strict coronavirus lockdown measures, Lauren was only allowed to visit Oscar in hospital once a day for seven weeks.
Lauren’s boyfriend, Jake Ward, and her mum, Adie, managed to stay on in Portugal to support the new mother.
Oscar did “very well” in hospital, aside from getting a “slight infection” – not from coronavirus, however.
As soon as he reached a weight of 6lbs, doctors gave them the all-clear to return to the UK.
Luckily, there were no issues with their holiday insurance, with the firm covering the cost of an air ambulance on April 22.
However, the baby has yet to have a cuddle with his family here, because of the UK’s lockdown rules.
Instead, relatives “come to the window to see him”, Lauren said.
Most read in world news
‘I WAS SCREAMING’
Dad drops dead in front of wife after ‘drinking expired soft drinks’
Pregnant nurse raped by illegal migrant after working coronavirus shift
WITHOUT A TRACE
Son spots his missing dad homeless and living off scraps on Tik Tok video
Norway to lift lockdown with 209 deaths…but Sweden admits ‘failure’ as 3,000 die
China scientists ‘playing God by creating apes with human organs’
Starving elephants in closed Thai tourist camps released back to natural homes
He has continued to thrive since arriving home, with Lauren adding, “he has had quite a start to his life, and [there] will be a story we will tell him when he is older”.
The Birmingham Mail adds that Oscar’s proud dad is particularly thrilled about his son being born in Portugal, as he can qualify for a Portuguese passport, and he’s hoping that once his lad is old enough to play football he could become the next Ronaldo.
- Love Island star Cara De La Hoyde gives birth to baby girl with Nathan Massey after being rushed into early labour
- My girlfriend died giving birth to our daughter… I texted her in hospital but she never replied to my last message
- 'Back to quarantine life!' Mark Wright and Michelle Keegan sport face masks on their flight home from Spain as they're forced to isolate for two weeks
- Spain will allow Brits to travel without quarantining for 14 days from tomorrow in huge boost to holidaymakers
- Holidaymakers in England could travel to Portugal and the Maldives quarantine-free by next week
- Brits with Spanish package holidays booked WILL get refunds if even flight go ahead
- Brit couple slam Spain quarantine saying country is ‘safer than UK’ and they’re more likely to catch coronavirus at home
- 'I've lost £2k in wages - who's going to pay my mortgage?' Furious Brits arrive from Spain for two weeks of isolation after last-minute change to quarantine ruined 600,000 holidays - as No 10 tells those who lose work to apply for benefits
- 'We cannot apologise': Dominic Raab DEFENDS decision to axe quarantine-free travel to Spain overnight despite British tourists - including Transport Secretary Grant Shapps - already arriving for holidays as Labour brands move 'shambolic'
- More than 600,000 British tourists on holiday in Spain now a face two-week 'house arrest' quarantine amid scramble to return home after bombshell axing of 'air bridge' - throwing their working lives into fresh disarray
- Coronavirus has stopped Australians from returning home. Here are their stories
- Day two of quarantine chaos at UK airports: NOW the QR codes on top of compulsory forms 'DON'T SCAN' after passengers land with no idea they even had to fill one out
- Can I travel to Portugal for my summer holiday? Latest travel advice
- EXCLUSIVE: 'Two-week quarantine? I'll get some extra sun!' Shaughna Phillips EXTENDS her Spanish trip as she slams government for 'turning people's lives upside down' with new restrictions
- Fury of the Brits caught out abroad: First holidaymakers return home from Spain - and straight into quarantine - after 'ridiculous' snap ruling not even the airlines knew about came into force, leaving thousands unable to go to work
- Millie Mackintosh shares sweet breastfeeding snap on baby Sienna's first flight as she thanks staff for their help during their 'smooth' journey
- 'I mean my baby isn't even born yet! Heavily pregnant Vogue Williams is dismayed as she hits back at troll who criticises her for packing formula in her hospital bag
- Nail in the coffin for foreign travel: Airline bosses say Boris’s ‘devastating’ lockdown plan to quarantine all UK arrivals for TWO WEEKS will ‘kill off’ industry as business chiefs claim it signals Britain is closed
- Where next? Dominic Raab puts more holidays into doubts as he warns there is no 'guarantee' new quarantine restrictions will not be put in place for MORE countries after shock overnight decision to remove Spain from air bridge list
- New quarantine rule for holidaymakers returning from Spain is expected to be introduced TONIGHT! Holiday chaos as UK tourists will have to isolate for two weeks due to fresh Covid outbreak
Brit mum gives birth in quarantine and gets stuck in Portugal for 7 WEEKS after flight home diverted when she hit labour have 1110 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at May 8, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.