The New York City subway system will shut down every night for the remainder of the pandemic between the hours of 1am and 5am for every train to be disinfected. Essential workers who need to use the transport system during those hours will be given free bus riders or Ubers, Lyfts and Vias that the MTA will pay for. The shut down will begin at 1am on May 6 and will last for however long the pandemic does, Cuomo said. It came after outrage over the conditions on the subways where homeless people have taken over entire cars. MTA workers spoke out to condemn the government for not doing more to make sure the subway system was safe. New York Governor Andrew Cuomo made the announcement on Thursday at his daily coronavirus briefing where he praised Mayor Bill de Blasio for ‘stepping up in a big way’ by agreeing to the shutdown. Subway ridership has decreased by 90 percent as a result of the pandemic. Scroll down for video Police wake up a homeless person on the A train on Thursday morning. From May 6, the subway system will be entirely shut down between 1am and 5am for cleaning Since… Read full this story
- Can Ford fix New York City’s transportation crisis with a crowdsourced shuttle bus?
- Comments for : Sprint and Motorola are having an exclusive event on June 9 in New York City
- How technology helped a blind athlete run free at the New York Marathon
- Never Built New York is a fascinating look at the wild ideas on the city’s cutting room floor
- We're bad at tracking deadly storms, but New York has a new way to see them coming
- NYC rolling out touchscreen displays in subways for directions, schedules
- Manchester City’s plan for global domination
- How to Keep 18 Million People Moving
- Diabetes Has a New Enemy: Robo-Pancreas
- Can’t sleep? Text Dirty Lemon and see if its Sleep potion will help
New York City subway will CLOSE every night from 1am-5am during pandemic for cleaning and to stop homeless people sleeping on it have 315 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at April 30, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.