BOTH Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Health Secretary Matt Hancock have announced they have contracted coronavirus.
But how could they have got it? Here’s everything we know.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
How did Boris Johnson get coronavirus?
It’s hard to know when the prime minister caught the infection, but has spent weeks occupied by the government’s response to the outbreak.
In recent days, he has been pictured conducting meetings by video call, but before was still attending visits, meeting people, and hosting press briefings in person.
Footage from near the start of the epidemic also shows the prime minister attempting to downplay the severity of the outbreak or the need to take precautions when in public.
“I can tell you that I’m shaking hands continuously,” he said.
“I was at a hospital the other night, where I think there were actually a few coronavirus patients and I shook hands with everybody.”
How did Matt Hancock get coronavirus?
Matt Hancock has similarly been at the centre of the UK government’s response to the coronavirus outbreak.
Like many Brits in certain jobs, he has continued to work in and around Whitehall since the government lockdown was announced.
CORONAVIRUS CRISIS – STAY IN THE KNOW
Don’t miss the latest news and figures – and essential advice for you and your family.
To receive The Sun’s Coronavirus newsletter in your inbox every tea time, sign up here.
To follow us on Facebook, simply ‘Like’ our Coronavirus page.
Get Britain’s best-selling newspaper delivered to your smartphone or tablet each day – find out more.
He said in a video posted to social media this morning that he had gotten tested on the advice of a doctor after experiencing symptoms.
He concluded by reminding everyone to continue to follow NHS guidelines on how to avoid contracting the virus.
Are Boris and Matt self-isolating?
Both Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock made clear while announcing their diagnoses that they would be self-isolating, as anyone experiencing symptoms is being asked to do.
Johnson said: “I’m self-isolating and that’s entirely the right thing to do.”
“Thank you to everybody who’s doing what I’m doing, working from home,” he said.
Hancock said he would be staying at home until next Thursday.
Have other politicians had coronavirus?
A number of other UK politicians have confirmed coronavirus diagnoses.
The first was health minister Nadine Dorries, who announced earlier this month that she had tested positive.
MOST READ IN NEWS
‘Measly’ free school meal rations given to pupils during virus crisis
UK coronavirus death toll rises by 181 to 759 after biggest 24-hour jump so far
Birmingham Airport to be turned into coronavirus mortuary for 12,000 bodies
Inventor spends 5 years building a coronavirus bunker with Sky TV and drum kit
‘HE CAN CROAK’
Corbynista trolls jeer Boris with vile ‘hope he dies’ posts after virus test
Moment vile women deliberately cough on people in street amid corona lockdown
This week also saw news of the death of Steven Dick, 37, Britain’s deputy ambassador to Hungary, who had earlier confirmed that he had contracted the virus.
On March 7, Nicola Zingaretti, the leader of the Democratic Party in Italy, became the first major European politician to announce a diagnosis.
- Boris Johnson taunts 'chicken' Jeremy Corbyn for trying to block election as Remainer alliance crumbles with SNP and Lib Dems humiliating Labour by backing a snap poll
- He’s NOT hanging around! With the Mayor’s popularity enjoying an Olympic boost, here’s how Boris Johnson could work his way to Number 10
- Boris Johnson accused of 'dog-whistle' Islamophobia over burqa comments
- Delingpole: Rejoice! Rejoice! Boris Johnson Has Drained the Swamp and Saved the Conservatives
- Morning after: Boris Johnson recovers from Lebedev’s exotic Italian party
- Boris Johnson cowardly for avoiding critics in Liverpool, says mayor
- Boris Johnson urged to dismiss aide who called far-right activist a hero
- Boris Johnson Telegraph column's no-deal Brexit popularity claim 'inaccurate'
- Boris Johnson pledges £3.6bn boost for deprived towns
- Boris Johnson faces questions over ‘arguably racist’ comments
- Boris Johnson fails -- again -- to secure an early election
- Boris Johnson told he needs new clause in Telegraph contract to stop him using 'privileged information' in columns
- Boris Johnson quits UK government over Brexit
- Boris Johnson expected to ask MPs once again to vote for early general election
- Boris and Carrie are still 'loved up' and have been 'brought even closer together' following police row, friends insist, as couple are seen together for first time since argument
- Wedding venue fails to yield a marriage of minds between Boris and Leo
- Johnson pledges to make all immigrants learn English
- Boris Formally Accepts Brexit Delay, Begs EU Not to Delay AGAIN in 2020
- Johnson and Hunt’s wild promises don’t matter. No-deal Brexit will never happen
- Johnson loses first attempt to call election in latest Brexit manoeuvre
How did Boris Johnson and Matt Hancock get coronavirus? have 828 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at March 27, 2020. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.