(CNN)When the novel coronavirus outbreak hit China in late December and January, the government sprang into crisis mode. Hard-hit cities like Wuhan, where the outbreak began, went into complete lockdown. Millions worked from home or self-quarantined for weeks on end. New hospitals were built in a matter of days to treat the sheer number of patients. People who broke quarantine rules or lied about their travel history were detained. These measures were drastic — but they appear to be paying off, with the situation slowly stabilizing in mainland China, and the rate of new cases decreasing daily. “We’ve seen the comprehensive measures that China has taken and … we believe that that has had an impact on changing the natural trajectory of the outbreak in China,” said Dr. Maria Van Kerkhove of the World Health Organization (WHO) on Wednesday. Mainland China recorded 119 new cases of the virus as of the end of Tuesday, with all but four in Hubei province — the figures in line with the downward trend in China. Read More Instead, the Covid-19 crisis has spread abroad, with alarming new clusters of the disease in the United States, Middle East and Europe. Scenes once limited to… Read full this story
- Tit-for-tat: World responds to Trump's tariffs with levies on US goods
- Heat wave causes outbreak of 'summer penis'
- Congo warns of "new phase" in Ebola outbreak after first case reported in city
- Concerns over outbreak as Ebola spreads to city in north-west of DR Congo
- New Ebola outbreak in DR Congo
- Listeria outbreak
- What's The Point of Belgium? France's World Cup Opponent Was 'Dreamt Up' in 1830
- Latest: Putin hopes 'common sense' will prevail in the world, reports say
- Only 4% of Russian Football Fans Believe National Team Can Win World Cup – Poll
- Chemical weapons watchdog to send inspectors to Syria as Trump responds 'forcefully' to gas attack
How countries around the world are responding to the coronavirus outbreak have 300 words, post on edition.cnn.com at March 4, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.