Forty-eight hours after California suspended combat sports through the end of March because of the coronavirus outbreak, the Nevada State Athletic Commission held an emergency meeting Saturday and decided to put combat sports on a hiatus as well through at least March 25.
NSAC executive director Bob Bennett said the commission will vote March 25 on the status of future events in the state.
Saturday night’s amateur mixed martial arts event, Tuff-N-Uff, in Las Vegas was canceled as a result of this vote.
Over the next 10 days, no major MMA or boxing event will be held in the state, but that is scheduled to change soon afterward.
On Thursday, the UFC announced it had moved its March 28 show in Columbus, Ohio, and April 11 event in Portland, Ore., to the UFC Apex facility in Las Vegas with only essential personnel in attendance and without spectators.
Premier Boxing Champions has a show at the Park MGM on March 28, while Top Rank has a boxing show April 11 at the Cosmopolitan and another April 25 at Mandalay Bay.
The coronavirus also has delayed the official announcement of Canelo Alvarez’s return to the ring May 2 at T-Mobile Arena in a fight against Billy Joe Saunders. Alvarez promoter Golden Boy has had a deal done for days on the fight, but it has been handicapped by the domino effect of the coronavirus outbreak just like every other major sports organization.
On Thursday, Golden Boy had to cancel Los Angeles-based boxing events March 19 at the Avalon and March 28 at the Forum because of the CSAC decision. Separately, two Top Rank boxing events at Madison Square Garden in New York — one Saturday, the other Tuesday — were also canceled because of the coronavirus.
It remains unclear whether an Alvarez-Saunders fight will take place May 2 in Las Vegas. Even if the NSAC deemed it safe for the fight to move forward, there would be little time to properly promote the fight and sell tickets.
Las Vegas casinos have been taking measures to prevent the spreading of the coronavirus in recent days. Many resorts have shuttered operations in their buffets, nightclubs, poker rooms, sports books, spas and salons as a preventive measure of further spreading the disease.
Sin City also is scheduled to host the NFL draft this year from April 23 to 25, and a decision has not been made on whether it will move forward as originally planned.
- Coronavirus Live Updates: 153 People Affected With UK Strain In India, Says Health Ministry
- Stars who shone brightly in a bleak year: Stuff's biggest sporting heroes of 2020
- International flights to remain suspended till February 28
- Roger Federer set to return to ATP Tour action in Doha in March with Halle, Wimbledon and Olympics his priority
- Kendall Jenner sports clingy cranberry leggings for private Pilates class in Los Angeles: 'No days off'
- Australian Open to go ahead despite positive coronavirus case in quarantine hotel, say organisers
- AstraZeneca boss says Britain is 'comfortably' on target to vaccinate ALL over-50s by March - as he slams 'emotional' EU over jabs war that saw Eurocrats accuse UK of HIJACKING doses meant for the continent
- Coronavirus live updates: Oakland airport debuts vending machines selling test kits
- Latest Coronavirus News in Vietnam & Southeast Asia September 24
- EU approves AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine
- EU medicine agency approves AstraZeneca coronavirus vaccine
- Coronavirus cases plunge again: UK records 25,308 new cases – down 35% on last week – and 1,725 deaths in 5% fall from last Wednesday
- Indian Navy SSC Recruitment 2021: Apply for Sports, Law and Technical Branch at joinindiannavy.gov.in
- New York City Restaurants Looking Forward To Reopening Indoor Dining At 25% Capacity
- Fauci to Join Forum with Chinese Doctor Who Claimed Coronavirus Had ‘Multiple Birthplaces’
- Despite violence at tractor rally, farmers refuse to call off protest march to Parliament on Budget Day
- Budget 2021: 15th Finance Commission report recommends 42 per cent share for states
- Coronavirus digest: Denmark plans COVID vaccination passport
- Covid-19: The US state that has crushed the coronavirus
- Coronavirus digest: Australia puts 500 tennis players, staff in isolation
Because of coronavirus, Nevada commission suspends combat sports through March 25 have 739 words, post on www.latimes.com at March 15, 2020. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.