Nikita Pearl Waligwa, who starred in the 2016 sports drama “Queen of Katwe”, has died. She was 15. Waligwa had been diagnosed with a brain tumour, Deadline quoted Ugandan media. Directed by Indian-American filmmaker Mira Nair, the Walt Disney film charted the rise of real-life chess prodigy Phiona Mutesi from a Ugandan slum. She began playing chess at the age of nine and went on to compete in international tournaments. Nair on Monday mourned the death of the child actor who fought the “incurable disease” right till the end. “Farewell dearest Nikita. The heart breaks to see you gone, too young, too soon. You were such a fighter but this disease was incurable. The Pioneers and the Kool Kats of Katwe will always miss you, your light lives on in #QueenOfKatwe,” the director wrote on Twitter. Madina Nalwanga played the lead and Waligwa played Gloria, Phiona’s friend who explained the rules of the game in a memorable line that in chess, “the small one can become the big one”. The film also featured Academy Award winner Lupita Nyong’o as Phiona’s mother and David Oyelowo as her chess teacher. Waligwa was initially diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2016, and her… Read full this story
- 'Queen Sono' Cast: Who Stars in the Netflix Show?
- ‘Queen Of Soul’ Aretha Franklin Dead At 76
- Carjacking On Long Island Turns Into Chase Into New York City, Suspect Shot Dead
- The pictures of the balcony that show the changing face of the Royal family during Queen's reign
- ‘The Walking Dead’: Norman Reedus Will Soon Pass Andrew Lincoln for Most Episode Appearances
- Happy birthday Shahid Kapoor: 10 family pics with Mira Rajput, Misha and Zain that show he’s the perfect husband, dad
- The Queen says she ‘can’t look down’ while wearing her crown because her ‘neck would break’
- Shahid Kapoor's Birthday Celebrations: Actor Cuts A Cake In Presence Of Wife Mira Rajput & Others
- Majestic Queen looks mint in crystal-studded coat and dress designed by long-serving couturier Angela Kelly
- Mira Rajput’s blurred pic gives clarity to husband Shahid Kapoor, says ‘So incomplete without you’
'Queen of Katwe' Actor Nikita Pearl Waligwa Dead at 15, Mira Nair Mourns have 355 words, post on www.news18.com at February 17, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.