Netflix is preparing to release The Stranger, an adaptation of the 2015 Harlan Coben novel. Its cast is led by The Hobbit‘s Richard Armitage as a man whose world is rocked when a mysterious woman tells him his wife has faked a pregnancy. There are some changes from the book—the gender of the stranger, for example. The trailer also teases a number of dramatic events, murder and plenty of mystery.
When is The Stranger out on Netflix?
Netflix has given the series a release date of Friday, January 31, when the show will be released at one minute past midnight PT (that’s 3:01 a.m. east coast time or 2:01 a.m. CT). The mini-series will have eight 50-minutes episodes, all of which will be released at once.
What happens in The Stranger on Netflix?
The official Netflix summary for The Stranger reads: “Adam Price is a happily married father of two whose life is turned upside-down after a stranger tells him a secret about his wife. The revelation catapults him into a world of danger.”
Though there are some differences between the plot of the book and the series (such as the gender of the eponymous stranger and the location, which has moved from the U.S. to the U.K.), the summary of the Coben novel gives potential viewers a wider idea of what to expect. It reads: “The Stranger appears out of nowhere, perhaps in a bar, or a parking lot, or at the grocery store. His identity is unknown. His motives are unclear. His information is undeniable. Then he whispers a few words in your ear and disappears, leaving you picking up the pieces of your shattered world.
“Adam Price has a lot to lose: a comfortable marriage to a beautiful woman, two wonderful sons, and all the trappings of the American Dream: a big house, a good job, a seemingly perfect life.
“Then he runs into the Stranger. When he learns a devastating secret about his wife, Corinne, he confronts her, and the mirage of perfection disappears as if it never existed at all. Soon Adam finds himself tangled in something far darker than even Corinne’s deception, and realizes that if he doesn’t make exactly the right moves, the conspiracy he’s stumbled into will not only ruin lives—it will end them.”
Who is in the cast of The Stranger on Netflix?
Adam and Corinne Price are played by actors Richard Armitage and Dervla Kirwan. To the American audiences, Armitage is probably best known as Thorin from The Hobbit trilogy of films, while Irish actor Kirwan recently starred in Amazon Prime Video’s White Dragon.
Speaking to Irish News, Armitage said of his role: “I play Adam Price, who’s a successful lawyer, family man, a dad and a husband. They are a pretty aspirational family and their existence is happy. They are heavily scheduled with their lives and I feel like sometimes they pass like ships in the night, but it’s a good life. Then The Stranger sidles up to Adam at the [soccer] club and drops a bombshell on him.”
The eponymous Stranger, meanwhile, is portrayed by Hannah John-Kamen, star of Ant-Man and the Wasp and Ready Player One. Other cast members who might be familiar to American viewers include Buffy the Vampire Slayer‘s Anthony Head, who plays Adam’s father Ed, Game of Thrones‘ Paul Kaye, playing a violent man trying to track down The Stranger, and The Crying Game‘s Stephen Rea, playing an ex-cop who Adam gets to help him after a visit from The Stranger.
Making a transition from drama to comedy is Absolutely Fabulous star Jennifer Saunders, playing a close friend of police detective Johanna Griffin (Siobhan Finneran of Downton Abbey) who gets her own visit from The Stranger.
The Stranger is released on Netflix on Friday, January 31.
- 'Living with Yourself' on Netflix. Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot: When is the Paul Rudd Comedy Out?
- Stranger Things season 3 UK release date, cast, trailer, plot, how many episodes
- 'Lamp Life': 'Toy Story' Spin-Off's Disney Plus Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' Season 7 Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot: Everything We Know About the New Series
- 'Miracle Workers Dark Ages' Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot: Everything You Need to Know About the TBS Show
- The Crown season 4 release date, cast and plot of the Netflix hit
- 'BoJack Horseman' Season 6 Netflix Release Date, Cast, Live Stream Info: How to Watch Part 1 of Final Season
- You season 3: release date, cast and what we know about the Netflix drama's return
- American Horror Story Season 8: How to watch it online, UK release date, cast, episode guide, and trailer
- The Eternals UK release date, cast, plot, MCU timeline, Kit Harington role
- 'Next in Fashion' Release Date, Judges, Contestants: All You Need to Know About Netflix's Fashion Show
- 'The Stranger': Why the Netflix Series Made Big Changes From the Harlan Coben Novel
- 'The Stranger' Cast: Who Stars in Netflix's Harlan Coben Adaptation?
- 'The Stranger' on Netflix Ending Explained: What Happened at the End of the Series?
- 'Power' Season 6, Episode 15 Release Date: Why Finale is Not on Starz This Week and When You Can Watch It
- Disney Plus: Global launch dates and everything else to know
- Disney Plus: Worldwide launch dates and everything else to know
- Stranger Things season 3: Ten things you need to know including new villain
- Netflix continues anime land grab with live-action One Piece series
'The Stranger' Netflix Release Date, Cast, Trailer, Plot: All You Need to Know About the Harlan Coben Series have 890 words, post on www.newsweek.com at January 28, 2020. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.