A mother-of-three who was stabbed to death alongside her lover was knifed with so much force that the whole weapon including the handle plunged into her stomach, an inquest has heard.
Helen Hancock, 39, was found dead alongside 48-year-old company director Martin Griffiths at a property in the upmarket village of Duffield just months after she walked out on her husband.
Chesterfield Coroners’ Court was told the blows she suffered were so forceful that the entire murder weapon was buried inside her body when paramedics found her.
Victim: Helen Hancock, 39, was found dead alongside the 48-year-old company director at a property in the upmarket village of Duffield just months after she walked out on her husband
Her estranged husband, head teacher Rhys Hancock, has been charged with murdering the new lovers after he was arrested at the scene having dialled 999.
On Monday the openings of inquests into both the victims’ deaths heard details of post-mortem examinations.
Derbyshire’s senior coroner Dr Robert Hunter told the hearing: ‘Helen Hancock had suffered multiple stab wounds, some of which indicated the use of severe force.
‘A knife was recovered from the abdomen. The whole of the knife being within the body. There was also evidence of defence injuries.’
Father-of-two Martin, 48, was found alongside Helen. Friends said they had been seeing each other for a couple of months.
Both were still married, but estranged from their spouses, the court heard.
A post-mortem carried out on his body also found multiple stab wounds, especially to his left shoulder and the right side of his neck. Again there was evidence of defence injuries.
Hancock later appeared at Derby Crown Court, but did not enter a plea. He is next due in court on 28 February. Judge Nirmal Shant QC has set a provisional trial date of 24 August
Detective Inspector Steve Shaw of Derbyshire Police told the court the couple were discovered at the £400,000 detached property in Duffield, Derbyshire, the early hours of New Years’ Day.
‘Both had suffered stab wounds, also at the scene was Helen’s estranged husband , who has since been arrested and charged with their murders,’ he said.
Both inquests were adjourned pending the outcome of ongoing criminal proceedings.
After the tragedy it was claimed PE teacher Helen had dialled 999 at Christmas following an incident at home at her £400,000 home.
Derbyshire Police has referred itself to the Independent Office for Police Conduct due to contact between the victim and officers prior to the fatal incident.
Helen, who had been using her maiden name Almey, taught at Fountains High School in Burton-upon-Trent.
Her family described her as a ‘lovely, beautiful, friendly, bubbly and social person’, while Martin’s relatives said ‘He will be greatly missed’.
It’s believed Martin met Helen through a local running club.
The pair were attacked at the smart semi-detached property in the upmarket Derbyshire village which is fashionable with football stars.
Police went to a bedroom where they discovered Martin who was already dead, and the gravely injured Helen. Paramedics battled unsuccessfully for 15 minutes to save her.
Her estranged husband was the head teacher at Stanton Vale Special Education School in Long Eaton, Derbyshire, but had recently left the post.
- Prosecutor reveals how notorious Alaska serial killer 'butcher baker' who killed at least 17 women and raped another 30 acted like a hunter and only confessed when he played good cop
- Wife's haunting diary entries discovered after she's found dead in pool of blood
- Julian Assange recruited teenager, 17, to hack his own former WikiLeaks associate and delete online chats, court hears, as judge refuses to delay his US extradition hearing any further despite last-ditch legal bid
- The brutal, bitchy world of the billionaire wives: After marrying media tycoon Conrad Black, BARBARA AMIEL revelled in her new-found wealth. But as she reveals in the final part of her new memoir, she soon confirmed that money can't buy true friends
- Police sergeant Matt Ratana wanted to marry his partner after ‘six wonderful years’ before he was shot, her mum reveals
- Croydon police shooting: Sgt Matt Ratana’s ‘killer’ revived by medics after he ‘dies’ in hospital as cops search home
- Croydon police murder suspect named as Louis De Zoysa, 23, with Green party candidate mum and yoga teacher dad
- The Myth of the Central Park Five
- Nicola Gobbo explains why she became Lawyer X
- Great Scot: Nobody Pushes Sean Connery Around
- Welcome to Europe: Smiling Tunisian terrorist poses for photo on the day he arrived in Italy on a migrant boat - just a month before he beheaded a woman and killed two more Catholics in church massacre in France
- Andrew’s Law is the only path to peace for grieving family of PC Andrew Harper
- The 85 best series to watch on Amazon Prime
- The 40 best thrillers to watch on Netflix right now
- The 26 most toe-curling quotes from Finding Freedom: Friends who are amazed by Meghan's packing skills and call her 'Grace under fire', classmates who taunt her for being 'perfect' and how Harry is 'tough to impress'
- 45 best horror movies and series on Netflix to watch right now
- Croydon shooting: Suspect who shot officer dead at station ‘was known to terror police’
- Croydon police shooting: Dad of one sergeant shot dead by handcuffed suspect who tried to kill two more officers
- Croydon police shooting: Handcuffed suspect ‘who shot dead dad-of-one sergeant, 54, expressed extremist views’
- Delta Force
Killer stabbed married mother-of-three, 39, with such ferocity the whole knife including the handle was buried in her stomach - inquest hears - as her husband is charged with murdering wife and her new lover have 900 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 13, 2020. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.