A mathematical study claims to have proven the long-held belief that the Battle of Britain could have easily been won by the Germans if not for tactical ineptitude. University of York researchers have created a computer model that uses a statistical technique called ‘weighted bootstrapping’ to re-imagine the 1940 battle under different circumstances. It identifies two enormous blunders by notorious Nazi commander Hermann Goering – a trained fighter pilot – who led the assault that crippled the Nazi effort and helped Britain win. The first mistake was not launching an attack immediately after Winston Churchill’s famous ‘Battle of Britain’ speech on June 18, rather than three weeks later on July 10. This is because an early strike would have given Britain less time to prepare a coordinated response and train up pilots, giving Germany a significant tactical advantage. The second major blunder from Hitler was not persisting with concentrated attacks on British airfields after striking a huge blow on August 13. These attacks lasted just five days but destroyed radar systems used to track German planes. Experts say that had this phase been longer it would have paved the way for a naval and land invasion. The study provides statistical backing to… Read full this story
- EU lawmakers urge Britain to call off Brexit
- When Donald met Kim, Notre Dame in flames and a royal kiss: Pictures of the decade show incredible ups and downs of life around the world since 2010
- Brexit: Theresa May offers MPs a choice between a deal, 'no deal' or delay
- What does Britishness mean to you?
- 10 Events that changed Europe in the last decade
- David Cameron's EU speech - full text
- Armed officers swoop on father, 49, for sending £150 to his son who fought with Kurdish forces against jihadis
- The Saudi Government’s Global Campaign to Silence Its Critics
- Trump’s Air War Has Already Killed More Than 2,000 Civilians
- Therapy wars: the revenge of Freud
How Germany could have WON the Battle of Britain: Mathematical study proves the Luftwaffe would have defeated the RAF if they had started THREE WEEKS earlier and focused on bombing airfields rather than cities have 307 words, post on www.dailymail.co.uk at January 10, 2020. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.