Caldwell left his position running Miami’s offense due to health reasons before the season
Former Colts and Lions coach Jim Caldwell, who left his position running the Dolphins offense in the preseason to tend to his health, is feeling good and ready to return to the sideline, according to sources with knowledge of the situation. Caldwell, who was one of the most successful coaches in Lions history and is well respected around the game, should be considered for head coaching openings and has strong support from the NFL league office.
Caldwell, 64, took an indefinite leave from the Dolphins, where he was set to be a huge resource for rookie head coach Brian Flores after interviewing for head coaching jobs in 2019. He could end up back with Miami, though other teams will likely consider him for their head coaching openings.
Caldwell is long noted for his leadership, preparation, steady hand and work with quarterbacks like Peyton Manning and Matthew Stafford, and the Lions have been reeling since dismissing him despite a winning tenure there.
With several owners believing their teams would be best served by hiring a proven NFL head coach with a deep track record, Caldwell should be well positioned with any health issues behind him.
Coming back after a one-year hiatus would not be without precedent. Bruce Arians returned to coaching last year following a one-year retirement after battling cancer, and former Colts head coach Chuck Pagano returned to the sidelines after missing most of a season following a cancer diagnosis.
Pick Six Newsletter
Get the day’s big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Young will be the first defensive player off the board, and his impact could exceed that of…
Judon has thrived as the team’s top pass rusher and stands no chance of hitting free agency
The man behind the Ravens’ unique approach on offense is not going unnoticed around the league
Despite a solid relationship, Carr and Raiders coach Jon Gruden could be headed for a split…
Meyer has been speculated as an option for potential NFL openings, but here’s why Cleveland…
Here are the Week 16 grades for every team playing on Saturday
The 49ers stayed alive in the race for the NFC West division title, while the Rams’ playoff…
The Bills never quit, but the Patriots were simply more consistent during a close fight in…
Live scores, highlights and updates from the Bengals vs. Patriots football game
- 49ers give head coach Kyle Shanahan new deal through 2025
- Raiders' head coach Jon Gruden believes this will be the NFL's 'toughest opponent'
- Super League restart: St Helens head coach Kristian Woolf's lessons from lockdown
- Joe Moglia steps down as head coach at Coastal Carolina, Jamey Chadwell promoted as replacement
- Toledo head coach Jason Candle tests positive for COVID-19
- Super League restart: Leeds Rhinos head coach Richard Agar on coaching in the time of coronavirus
- NHL Training Camp News: Domi returns; Lemieux finally suspended
- Jon Gruden admits he needs to "coach better" in Year Three
- 2020 Pittsburgh Steelers Training Camp Preview: Tight End
- NFL At 100-AP Was There-49ers-Seahawks NFC title game
- Canucks vs. Wild: 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Qualifier Preview
- Blackhawks-Blues stream: NHL Return to Play exhibition for 2020 season
- Anil Kumble opens up about his Team India coach job: I know the end could have been better but have no regrets
- Flames vs. Jets: 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Qualifier Preview
- Coyotes vs. Predators: 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Qualifier Preview
- The Wraparound: Hockey is back as NHL Return to Play begins
- Flyers-Penguins stream: NHL Return to Play exhibitions begin
- Blackhawks vs. Oilers: 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Qualifier Preview
- Hurricanes vs. Rangers: 2020 NHL Stanley Cup Qualifier Preview
- NHL Training Camp News: Crosby skates; Toews reportedly voted against Return to Play
Former NFL head coach Jim Caldwell eager to return to sidelines in 2020 have 779 words, post on www.cbssports.com at December 22, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.