The Jaguars have underwhelmed this season to the tune of 5-9
The Jacksonville Jaguars parted ways with Executive Vice President Tom Coughlin Dec. 18 but that may be the extent of changes. NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport acknowledges that there is ‘a good chance’ head coach Doug Marrone and General Manager David Caldwell are retained for the 2020 season.
After serving as head coach of the Buffalo Bills for two seasons, Marrone was hired by Jacksonville to serve as assistant head coach and offensive line coach on Gus Bradley’s staff. He was elevated to interim head coach in 2016 and was named the full-time head coach in 2017. Over the past three years, the 55 year old from the Bronx has accumulated a 22-27 record. In his first season, the team went 10-6 during the regular season before appearing in the AFC Championship against the New England Patriots. The Jaguars fought hard, had a few bad breaks and lost 24-20. Since then, the organization has had a lot of issues.
The NFL Player’s Association won two grievances against the organization in 2019: one for running back Leonard Fournette losing $99,000 for being benched when healthy and another lucrative sum for fining Dante Fowler Jr. for not taking part in voluntary activities. Cornerback Jalen Ramsey asked for and was granted a trade after the team had already parted with Fowler and former quarterback Blake Bortles.
Caldwell spent 2008-12 serving as Director of college scouting and Director of player personnel with the Atlanta Falcons. He was named to his current role in 2013.
It has been a rocky 2019 campaign for the Jaguars. They paid veteran quarterback Nick Foles a hefty sum in free agency but he was injured in Week 1. Rookie Gardner Minshew set the NFL world ablaze with his big personality and on-field success only to lose the starting job upon Foles’ return. It was short-lived, however. Jacksonville plans to start the rookie for the rest of the season. The team has lost five of their most recent six games.
Pick Six Newsletter
Get the day’s big stories + fun stuff you love like mock drafts, picks and power rankings.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox for the latest sports news.
There was an error processing your subscription.
Live updates throughout Week 16 of the NFL season with the latest on the playoff picture and…
Hammerin’ Hank Goldberg just locked in his top Week 16 NFL parlay.
Elandon Roberts has evolved into a two-way player
It looks like Julian Edelman got himself taken out of the game for a time
Here are the Week 16 grades for every team playing on Saturday
Tom Brady turned into a lead blocker in Week 16
The Texans win their fourth AFC South title in five years
The Bills never quit, but the Patriots were simply more consistent during a close fight in…
Live scores, highlights and updates from the Bengals vs. Patriots football game
- Doug Marrone: The owner wants to win and we haven’t done it
- SportsLine odds on Detroit Lions head coaching candidates
- Why Florida has a good chance to beat Alabama for SEC title
- Despite Rough Season, 49ers DC Robert Saleh Seen As Prime Head Coach Candidate
- Deion Sanders officially hired as Jackson State head coach
- Report: Rockets hiring Stephen Silas as coach
- 'Good chance of substantial recovery in next financial year'
- Jacksonville Jaguars fire general manager Dave Caldwell
- Doug Pederson clarifies initial plan for Jalen Hurts
- Doug Pederson explains decision to start Jalen Hurts
- SportsLine released odds on Texas Longhorns coach in 2021
- Rampant Leeds continue good start with impressive demolition of Derby
- Houston Rockets coach Stephen Silas describes James Harden as a 'holdout'
- India A vs Australia A 2020 Practice match: Schedule, Squads, India time, TV channel info
- Hamilton's Leslie Odom Jr. drops out of Christmas in Rockefeller Center 2020... as Kelly Clarkson, Gwen Stefani and others are set to perform
- 100 burning questions about 2020 NFL season with kickoff just months away
- Gardner Minshew “pretty much went and begged” for chance to play
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by Facebook - COVID-19 vaccine moves ahead. Congress? Not so much
- Collins wins Maine race, narrowing Democratic chances for Senate majority
- Jeff Sessions Was One of Alabama's Most Popular Senators—Now He Might Lose the Primary to Football Coach Tuberville
Doug Marrone reportedly has a good chance to remain as Jacksonville's head coach in 2020 have 812 words, post on www.cbssports.com at December 22, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.