President Donald Trump’s policies on Syria are a disaster largely of his own making – one that could cost him re-election in 2020, says former US Assistant Secretary of State PJ Crowley.There will not be an article of impeachment that includes Donald Trump’s latest decisions regarding Syria among his alleged high crimes and misdemeanours. But the strategic disaster unfolding following his capitulation to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan could well mark the beginning of the end of the Trump presidency.Trump will survive impeachment – the Republican-controlled Senate is unlikely to convict him – although he continues to be his own worst enemy. The president believes the call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky was “perfect.” The transcript the White House released presents strong evidence a crime was committed.But Ukraine has already become a domestic political Rorschach test – there was a quid pro quo but many Trump supporters still choose to see a benign image.Syria is different. It’s not something he can blame on Barack Obama or House Democrats. Notwithstanding the administration’s intent to punish Turkey with fresh sanctions, this is a crisis largely of Trump’s making. To Trump, his decision to withdraw US forces from the contested areas along the… Read full this story
- Syria Wants End to Israel's 'Terrorizing' Strikes and Russia, Iran, Turkey Agree
- Even with acquittal, GOP sees trial ending Trump's shot at future office
- On ending Trump era H-1B visa ban, Biden admin remains undecided
- Biden admin 'undecided' on ending Trump-era H-1B visa ban
- Biden admin ‘undecided’ on ending Trump-era H-1B visa ban
- Erdogan will 'eradicate' remnant IS in Syria, claims Trump
- What Were the Legal (and Strategic) Grounds for Biden’s Syria Airstrikes?
- Trump's defense unveils epic troll of Democrats showing video of party leaders and Biden saying 'fight' over and over and alleging they edited tweets to make their case - then rests after three hours
- The Hill's Morning Report - Presented by TikTok - Day 1 goes to Dems as GOP fumes at Trump lawyers
- Trump impeachment trial will ‘destroy the presidency’ and put future leaders at risk, says Lindsey Graham
Viewpoint: Syria could be beginning of end for Trump have 346 words, post on www.bbc.co.uk at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.