By Greg Heffer, political reporter
Boris Johnson is facing fresh calls to provide a “full account” of his relationship with an American model turned technology entrepreneur following new claims.
The prime minister has refused to deny outright he had an affair with Ms Arcuri, 34, amid conflict of interest allegations.
Multiple inquiries have been launched after it emerged Ms Arcuri was given more than £100,000 in public money and privileged access to overseas trade missions led by Mr Johnson during his time as London mayor.
In new allegations, the Sunday Times has now reported Mr Johnson wrote a letter recommending Ms Arcuri – then a 27-year-old student – for a £100,000 a year job as chief executive of Tech City, which was established to help technology start-ups in the capital.
The government quango reported directly to Downing Street and Ms Arcuri’s 2012 job application was made weeks after Mr Johnson lobbied for London’s City Hall to be allowed to take control of the body, the newspaper added.
Responding to the reports, Labour’s shadow Cabinet Office minister Jon Trickett said: “The allegation that Boris Johnson recommended Jennifer Arcuri for a top government job without declaring his relationship to her is incredibly serious.
“Johnson cannot continue to stonewall and refuse to give a full account of his actions.
“The integrity of the prime minister is called into question when he acts as if he believes he can get away with anything.
“The public have a right to know if their prime minister has in the past misused public funds, and abused his office and position of power. This cannot be swept under the carpet.”
The prime minister has previously told Sky News “everything was done with complete propriety” when quizzed on the allegations.
Ms Arcuri has said any grants received by her companies and any trade mission she joined were “purely in respect of my role as a legitimate businesswoman”.
She has also denied she was Mr Johnson’s lover.
Downing Street did not comment on the latest Sunday Times claims.
- NS&I to introduce new ‘green’ savings account - everything you need to know so far
- Aide Says Cuomo Groped Her, as New Details of Account Emerge
- Nepal's New PM Sher Bahadur Deuba Wins Vote of Confidence in Parliament
- Halifax introducing new £100 current account switching offer this week
- Twitter Account Of PM Narendra Modi's Personal Website Hacked
- New Zealand's PM Ardern calls emergency APEC meeting on COVID-19; Singapore's PM Lee to attend
- Scott Stringer, New York Mayoral Candidate, Is Accused of Sexual Assault
- Savings rates: Secure Trust Bank launch a range of new personal accounts - 1.2% available
- New York Attorney General Seeks Powers to Investigate Killings by the Police
- Eric Adams Has Plans for New York, Beyond Public Safety
- Cancer New Moon horoscope: What’s in store for EVERY sign this weekend
- HSBC issues savings account update - regular saver offering 1% rate in 'very high demand'
- New EPFO Rules: PF Holders Can Now Withdraw Advance of Up To Rs 1 Lakh For Medical Emergency
- ‘Welcome to the Mesh, Brother’: Guerrilla Wi-Fi Comes to New York
- Recreational Marijuana Legalized by New Jersey Voters
- Indictment of New York Officer Divides Chinese-Americans
- New York Spent $1 Billion on Virus Supplies. Now It Wants Money Back.
- Big Buildings Hurt the Climate. New York City Hopes to Change That.
- New York City Considers New Pay Rules for Uber Drivers
- Dean Skelos, Ex-New York Senate Leader, and His Son Are Convicted of Corruption
New call for PM to provide 'full account' of Arcuri relationship have 555 words, post on news.sky.com at October 6, 2019. This is cached page on Movie News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.