Oscar-winner Jane Fonda was arrested Friday outside the US Capitol where she was protesting climate change and demanding action to protect the environment.
The 81-year-old film star, longtime activist and exercise guru was taken into custody with several others after 10 minutes of protesting on the Capitol steps, video posted on Fonda’s Facebook page showed.
“Today, the United States Capitol Police arrested 16 individuals for unlawfully demonstrating on the East Front of the US Capitol,” a police spokeswoman said in a statement that did not identify those detained.
Fonda, dressed in a bright red overcoat, chanted climate action slogans before she was handcuffed and led away to cheers from fellow protesters.
The protest may become a familiar site on Capitol Hill.
Fonda recently told the Los Angeles Times that she was moving to Washington for four months, fully committed to fighting global warming with a passion similar to that of Swedish teenager and climate activist Greta Thunberg.
Speaking to a small gathering before her arrest, Fonda decried the “man-made crisis” of climate change and said she and other activists would be returning to Capitol Hill “every Friday at 11:00, rain or shine or snow or blizzard or whatever,” for a series of rallies.
“This is a collective crisis that demands collective action now,” she said.
Climate change has emerged as a prominent issue in US politics, and several candidates seeking the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination have released major and ambitious climate action platforms.
Fonda starred in US movie classics like “9 to 5” and “On Golden Pond,” as well as the recent Netflix series “Grace and Frankie.”
She won best actress Academy Awards for 1971’s “Klute” and “Coming Home,” from 1978.
- Climate protest at Pelosi's office spurs arrests
- Climate protesters try to "occupy" London city airport
- Climate protesters to target Bank of England on Thursday with 'green QE' demands
- More than 120 arrests as climate activists occupy London landmarks
- Global Climate 'Rebellion' Sees Mass Arrests And Blocked Roads
- Georgia politician and protesters are arrested in the state capitol as tension over tight governors race comes to a head
- The Latest: Immigration protesters occupy New Mexico Capitol
- Stephon Clark protests: More security this week for Kings games, concert at Golden 1 Center
- Live updates: Sacramento students walk out, march to Capitol in Stephon Clark protest
- Protest and persist: why giving up hope is not an option
- Climate change protesters aim for arrests as demonstration gets underway in London
- Climate change protest: 113 activists arrested as London rally enters second day
- London climate change activists continue protest after more than 700 arrested
- Ground to a halt: Climate change protesters smash windows at Shell's London HQ as blockades continue
- Watch: Greta Thunberg makes powerful climate change speech in London
- Police boost security at Capitol amid tension over Kavanaugh
- Anonymous Hacks Paris Climate Talks
- Arden Fair mall reopens. City, mall employees took big financial hit from Sunday protest
- Climate change protest to block traffic at five London landmarks including Parliament Square
- Climate activists block cruise ship from leaving German port
Jane Fonda arrested in climate protest at US Capitol have 477 words, post on en.rfi.fr at October 11, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.