It has now been 1,000 days since Northern Ireland had a government. The power-sharing assembly collapsed in January 2017, when deputy first minister Martin McGuinness, from the nationalist Sein Fein party, resigned over the handling of a flawed green energy scheme by the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP). Read more: How to make millions heating empty sheds At a pivotal moment in the country’s history, with Brexit set to potentially change the flow of goods on the island of Ireland, there is no government in place in the North. If the stalemate continues in Belfast — and people expect that it will — Westminster is set to extend same-sex marriage and decriminalise abortion, starting on October 21. Northern Ireland has surpassed other power-sharing governments, such as Belgium which in 2010 and 2011 went 589 days without a government. Euronews takes a look at the governing situation in Northern Ireland or lack thereof. How does Northern Ireland’s government function? The government in Belfast was designed as a power-sharing assembly by the Good Friday Agreement, which was signed in 1998 to end a thirty-year sectarian conflict in Ireland known as The Troubles. The power-sharing or devolved government was put into place to diminish… Read full this story
- Good Use for Drones: Delivering Abortion Pills to Women Under Northern Ireland's Archaic Laws
- Belfast High Court: Northern Ireland's Abortion Laws 'Incompatible with Human Rights'
- Idaho Anti-Abortioners Open Fake Clinic in Northern Ireland, Down the Street from the Only Real One
- Trade Union: Northern Ireland's Terrible Abortion Laws Criminalize Working-Class Women
- Northern Ireland's broadband criticized: One in four get expected speeds
- Northern Ireland gets £4.4m in broadband funding
- Drone delivers abortion pill to women in Northern Ireland
- £25m pledged to improve 3G in Northern Ireland
- BT unveils Northern Ireland fibre rollout
- Teenage boy arrested in Northern Ireland over TalkTalk hack
It's a 1,000 days since Northern Ireland last had a government have 289 words, post on www.euronews.com at October 13, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.