Grease: Rydell High gets series order at HBO Max
The Hollywood Reporter brings word that HBO Max has officially given a series order to Paramount Television’s newest Grease spinoff series titled Grease: Rydell High, centered on the high school from John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John’s 1978 iconic musical romantic comedy film. The announcement also came with the release of the spinoff’s first official poster which you can check out below.
“This is high school and life in small-town USA told on the scale of a big rock ‘n’ roll musical,” HBO Max head of original content Sarah Aubrey said in a statement. “It’s Grease 2.0 but with the same spirit, energy and excitement you immediately think of when you hear any of these iconic songs.”
Set in the 1950s, Grease: Rydell High will take place during the time when the Pink Ladies and the T-Birds still rule the school. The musical series will explore the peer pressures of high school, the horrors of puberty, and the rollercoaster of life in middle America with a modern sensibility that will bring it to life for today’s musical lovers.
The series is expected to bring some familiar characters from the original to the small screen as well as a lot of new characters. It also promises to feature big musical numbers of popular 1950s songs along with new original songs produced for the series.
Grease: Rydell High will be executive produced by Erik Feig’s Picturestart and Temple Hill. This project will be Paramount TV’s second Grease TV spinoff, who had first produced Fox’s 2016 Grease: Live which garnered five Emmy Awards.
Last April, it was also reported that Paramount Players is developing a Grease prequel movie titled Summer Loving which will focus on Danny Zuko and Sandy Olsson’s summer fling.
- NBC's superhero-workplace comedy Powerless gets series order, first photos
- The Big Bang Theory to stream exclusively on HBO Max
- Working Title Revealed for Watchmen Television Series From HBO
- Get The Order: 1886 for $40
- Forza Motorsport 4 Gets Pre-Order Unlockables.
- NHL 16 gets series' first-ever beta next week, for revamped EA Sports Hockey League
- Nickelodeon revives Rugrats series, orders live-action movie
- Batwoman Arrow-verse Spin-Off Show Gets Pilot Order With Game Of Thrones Director
- Batwoman's Arrow-verse Spin-Off Show Gets Pilot Order With Game Of Thrones Director
- Batwoman Spin-Off Show Gets Pilot Order With Game Of Thrones Director