TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) — Former Foxconn CEO Terry Gou has given up on making an independent bid for Taiwan’s presidency, citing an “abominable election atmosphere” and bullying of his supporters. Gou announced his decision in a statement late Monday, one day before a deadline to register for the race. The move leaves two main candidates in the January election — incumbent President Tsai Ing-wen of the Democratic Progressive Party and Han Kuo-yu, a populist mayor who defeated Gou in the Nationalist Party primary in July. Gou stepped down in June as head of Foxconn, a company he founded and built into a leading contract manufacturer of the iPhone and other consumer electronics. He resigned from the Nationalist Party last week, fueling speculation that he would run as an independent. His possible entry into the race threatened to divide the Nationalists, who wanted party members to unite behind their candidate. Han, the mayor of the port city of Kaohsiung, is trailing Tsai in the polls. In a video message posted on Facebook on Tuesday, Gou blamed personal and factional interests for dividing society. “I am not willing to participate and cannot bear seeing my supporters being bullied,” he said.
- It Sure Does Look Like Elizabeth Warren Is Going to Be Running for President
- Warren Mosler To Run For President
- Falls For Another ‘Trump Running For President’ Leak
- Bannon Reportedly Considered Running For President in Case of Trump Impeachment
- Bannon Reportedly Mulling 2020 Run For President, Called Trump ‘An 11-Year-Old Child’
- Ann Coulter On Sarah Palin Running For President: ‘I Wouldn’t If I Were Her’
- Michele Bachmann Won’t Rule Out Running for President in 2016
- Kristol Loses It over Chuck Todd’s Suggestion Palin Might Run for President for the Money
- Dick Morris Calls Ron Paul ‘The Most Liberal, Radical Left-Wing Person’ To Run For President In The Last 50 Years
- Gov. Chris Christie Announces He Will Not Run For President In 2012
Former Foxconn chief abandons run for Taiwan presidency have 324 words, post on apnews.com at September 17, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.