SHENZHEN, China (AP) â Long before President Donald Trump threatened to cut off Huawei’s access to U.S. technology, the Chinese telecom equipment maker was pouring money into research that reduces its need for American suppliers. Huawei’s founder says instead of crippling the company, the export curbs are making it a tougher competitor by forcing managers to focus resources on their most important products. Little-known to Americans, Huawei Technologies Ltd. is the No. 2 smartphone brand worldwide and the biggest maker of switching gear at the heart of phone networks. Its equipment is used by 45 of the 50 biggest global phone carriers. Huawei is a pioneer in the emerging field of next-generation, or 5G, telecoms. It promises not just faster internet but support for self-driving cars and other futuristic applications. That fuels Western security concerns and makes 5G politically sensitive. The U.S. claims the company might aid Chinese spying, though Huawei denies that and American officials have provided no evidence. Huawei needs some American innovations, especially Google services used on Android phones, but industry experts say the company is increasingly self-sufficient after spending 485 billion yuan ($65 billion) on research and development over the past decade. “They have a strategy… Read full this story
- Small ISPs “stunned” by FCC move to ban Huawei/ZTE gear during pandemic
- France won't ban Huawei, but encouraging 5G telcos to avoid it: Report
- Chaos in the Koreas sees Kim Jong Un's sister emerge stronger than ever
- Europe can't afford to fully ban Huawei
- Chinese cyber attack on Australia was revenge for banning Huawei, ex-officials claim in warning shot for Britain
- France won't totally ban Huawei 5G, cybersecurity head says
- TikTok facing bans around world over fears Chinese app is SPYING on you and passing secrets to Communist Party
- Google faces employee petition to end tech sales to police
- Last of Us Part II may face ban in some Middle East countries. But why?
- Boris Johnson Offered ‘Sound Reasons' to Lock Huawei Out of UK 5G Rollout, Says Ex-MI6 Chief
Facing US ban, Huawei emerging as stronger tech competitor have 337 words, post on www.baynews9.com at September 17, 2019. This is cached page on Movie Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.